Need help finding an underwater Baetis fly

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Need help finding an underwater Baetis fly

On 2010-08-11 20:47:29 -0400, Giles said:

On Aug 11, 7:44*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

One of my pet project for about a year now is to
find a fly (I do not tie my own) that imitates an
underwater ovipositing Baetis spinner. I have come
up dry. ...

You've been trying, for about a year now, to find
something which is easily found by typing the words
"baetis spinner" into a Google search ?

Hilarious.

--
Ken Fortenberry

You see, boys and girls? *There is no need whatsoever for
discussion......about anything....anywhere or any time.

Especially if it involves one trick ponies.

d;o)- Hide quoted text -

Indeed.

g.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Old August 12th, 2010, 05:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Old August 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/11/2010 12:03 PM, DaveS wrote:

Take a baetis dry and add Zink.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have found tons of Baetis imitations. My problem
is that I have not found a single one that actually looks
like the one in the picture. (And contrary to my stalker's
opinion, I have Googled this a lot.)

http://www.flyline.com/_images/baetisuw.gif

I may be being too picky here. I have been dragging
various Adams under the film to simulate what I am
after and having really great success.

If I could elaborate,
http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...1087_small.jpg
looks like an absolute work of art. But it does not
look like the picture of an actual ovipositing Baetis.
1) it is the wrong color
2) its back is not curved upward
3) hackle instead of wings
4) no feet
5) no eyeballs
6) body is not distinct from the tail

I am being especially picky abut the wings. They need to
be straight up and together in a praying position. (I am
thinking I could actually get away with one wind.)

As I said, I may be being way to picky. It is a pet
project of mine.

Thank you for the tip.

-T
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/11/2010 05:42 PM, Giles wrote:

p.s. watching you twist davie into ever tighter little knots is
hilarious, whether not not it's intentional.....and, no, i couldn't
care less either way.

Davie? Knots? heeheehee I am enjoying myself, Wolfgang. Immensely
aamof. I can hardly wait until he discovers google.

Davey

You're an idiot.....and a pig.....and a liar.

g.

Hi Giles,

I never thought these words would escape from my fingers, but I have
kind of missed you in your short absence from these pages. Just
a little bit. Not that much. Don't get the swelled head.

I figured congress went on recess and you finally got a chance to
do some fishing. :-)

-T

Oh, yes. And everyone need a stalker in the life. Thank you
for noticing.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Todd wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Take a baetis dry and add Zink.

Hi Dave,

I have found tons of Baetis imitations. My problem
is that I have not found a single one that actually looks
like the one in the picture. (And contrary to my stalker's
opinion, I have Googled this a lot.)

Stalker ?

http://www.flyline.com/_images/baetisuw.gif

I may be being too picky here. I have been dragging
various Adams under the film to simulate what I am
after and having really great success.

If I could elaborate,
http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...1087_small.jpg
looks like an absolute work of art. But it does not
look like the picture of an actual ovipositing Baetis.
1) it is the wrong color
2) its back is not curved upward
3) hackle instead of wings
4) no feet
5) no eyeballs
6) body is not distinct from the tail

I am being especially picky abut the wings. They need to
be straight up and together in a praying position. (I am
thinking I could actually get away with one wind.)

As I said, I may be being way to picky. It is a pet
project of mine.

It doesn't matter what the fly looks like *to you*, you don't
have trout eyes. You could tie up an EXACT replica, identical
in every respect to what a baetis looks like *to you*, and to
the trout it looks like feathers on a hook.

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/FlyP...isPatterns.htm

Any of the CDC patterns on that page will look like the fly
in the pic you posted from the Cutler web page *to a trout*.

Thank you for the tip.

And here's a tip from me, you don't need to reinvent the
wheel, Mr. Science. You're obviously a tyro and you're not
going to impress any of the experienced anglers here with a
fancy vocabulary and citations to journal articles.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-08-12 13:26:25 -0400, Todd said:

On 08/11/2010 12:03 PM, DaveS wrote:

Take a baetis dry and add Zink.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have found tons of Baetis imitations. My problem
is that I have not found a single one that actually looks
like the one in the picture.

Have you found a mayfly that actually looks like an Adams? A parachute Adams?

(And contrary to my stalker's
opinion, I have Googled this a lot.)

Hard to believe after some of the questions you've asked on this forum.
And I'm not stalking you - I can't; you are anonymous with a phony
e-mail address. No stalking involved. I'm just trying to get you out
of the closet. d;o) I've never stalked anyone, btw. If you post
stupid **** on the internet while remaining anonymous in name and isp,
you can expect detractors.

No ****?

I have been dragging
various Adams under the film to simulate what I am
after and having really great success.

Well, if you are having "really great success", why, pray tell, are you
asking for advice? You have found the answer. Put some zink on
something and drag it across the bottom. Or, use a PT soft hackle with
some split shot.

If I could elaborate,
http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...1087_small.jpg
looks like an absolute work of art. But it does not
look like the picture of an actual ovipositing Baetis.

No ****?

1) it is the wrong color
2) its back is not curved upward
3) hackle instead of wings
4) no feet
5) no eyeballs
6) body is not distinct from the tail

Ah, color. Color is very important. Backs are not always curved.
Clip some wings off a house fly and glue them on. Feet and eyeballs
are very important, Todd. However, don't forget the nose, mouth, and
toenails. What you need to do, Todd, is find one of them there insects
and put it on a very small hook - maybe use super glue. And, there ya
go! Voila! A genuwhine ovipositing baetis.

I am being especially picky abut the wings.

No ****?

They need to
be straight up and together in a praying position.

No they don't. Soft hackle does a wonderful job imitating of wings.
If a flyfisherman had to have a perfect imitation of an insect in any
of its stages, such an imitation would be too valuable to fish. And,
I'm betting it would be a bitch to cast and steady in the water column.

(I am
thinking I could actually get away with one wind.)

Oh, no. Ya need more winds.

As I said, I may be being way to picky.

No ****?

It is a pet
project of mine.

Golf. 'Tis the only solution for your many problems.

Thank you for the tip.

Think nothing of it.

-T

Dave (Tips R Us)
eyes rolling

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/12/2010 10:58 AM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Stalker ?

not you
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-08-12 13:48:57 -0400, Todd said:

[...]

Or a pony. But Giles is only a one trick pony. Don't count on him for
very much more than that. And he loves to stalk too. Stalkstalkstalk.
Everyone of roff stalks.

Dave, aka The Stalker (or as I like to be known, Chief Stalker)
(my eyes are starting to hurt from all the rolling....)

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/12/2010 11:16 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:
Hard to believe after some of the questions you've asked on this forum.

I rather think they are very interesting. Your opinion may vary.
This is a discussion group. Sorry if that annoys you. Well, maybe not.
I can not wait to see your knee jerk if and when I ever ask about rod
flash and vest color. Oh my gosh, I might even include a reference!

And I'm not stalking you - I can't; you are anonymous with a phony
e-mail address. No stalking involved. I'm just trying to get you out of
the closet. d;o) I've never stalked anyone, btw.

Oh I think you have risen to the task quite nicely. You really should
avoid reading my posts. They make you act like a prat. Fortunately,
I can only count one other person in my life, out of hundreds, that I
have that effect. So, I think I am doing okay. And, oh yes, I am
really going to tell a stalker who I am. Maybe in my next life.
You need to respect my request for anonymity. Okay, maybe three.

If you post stupid ****
on the internet while remaining anonymous in name and isp, you can
expect detractors.

Especially when they don't understand what you are saying and their
pride gets in the way of asking you what you are talking about.

Well, if you are having "really great success", why, pray tell, are you
asking for advice?

It is a pet project of mine. And there are a lot of folks with
this kind of knowledge on this group. And, other than you, act
like gentleman. A lot of nice folks on this discussion group
ask about their projects, right down to the screws they use
on their reals.

Soft hackle does a wonderful job imitating of wings

Only "above" the film, where the hackle is imitating the
six pin pricks on the meniscus that show up like a strobe
light, especially at the edge of the Snell circle. I would
quote you a reference, but I am afraid your knee will jerk
so hard you might hurt yourself.

Thank you for the tip.

Think nothing of it.

I was thanking the other Dave. Sorry. Maybe next time.

-T

Did someone stick a gun to your head and force you to read
my posts? Do we need to call 911 for you?