Careful out there

Old January 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Careful out there

Another thread got me thinking about the South Fork of the Snake.

That reminded me that a fellow I knew that generously helped me learn
a lovely river Russell turned me onto, died in a drift boat accident
on the South Fork late last season.

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:45:50 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

Another thread got me thinking about the South Fork of the Snake.

That reminded me that a fellow I knew that generously helped me learn
a lovely river Russell turned me onto, died in a drift boat accident
on the South Fork late last season.

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.

A raft w a guide flipped on Rock Creek last year and I do believe
someone drowned

Fred
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message
Another thread got me thinking about the South Fork of the Snake.

That reminded me that a fellow I knew that generously helped me learn
a lovely river Russell turned me onto, died in a drift boat accident
on the South Fork late last season.

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.

Good reminder Thanks!

I'm going to hit the SF. of the Snake or the Green two weeks from today for
a few days depending on weather in each location.

Not a great time of year, but a great time to beat cabin fever!

JT

Old January 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 7, 9:45*am, Larry L wrote:

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.

Particularly this time of year when the rivers are more likely to lay
down new sweepers and the buzz is thin because so few boats are going
down. Some of the stupidest **** I have ever done involved letting
cabin fever interfere with judgement. Moma nature can be one
unforgiving bitch, and she has a special taste for overconfident
silverbacks.

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jan 7, 12:42*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:45*am, Larry L wrote:

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.

Particularly this time of year when the rivers are more likely to lay
down new sweepers and the buzz is thin because so few boats are going
down. Some of the stupidest **** I have ever done involved letting
cabin fever interfere with judgement. Moma nature can be one
unforgiving bitch, and she has a special taste for overconfident
silverbacks.

Dave

It suprises me that karma hasn't seriously kicked my ass. I always
seem to get up and walk/swim away. I think the kapoc bra helps.
Frank Reid
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:42:02 -0800 (PST), DaveS
wrote:

Some of the stupidest **** I have ever done involved letting
cabin fever interfere with judgement.

Larry - Thanks for the advice

Here's stupid:

When we first moved West
We took a small raft (bathtub sized) from Polebridge on down the North
Fork of the Flathead - in early May

We capsized - I was lucky to make it twice thru some major rapids w
brush , logjams all around

Stupid! I know that I am lucky to have survived.
I don't mess w heavy water and wading or floating rivers.
2-3 yrs ago I was goin' nuts
w cabin fever
and went to Yellowstone
I remember 2 things

One - was paying $4.05 per gallon for gas (where did my $$ go)
The other was the rivers - They were not fishable in July There ws no
way that I would wade!

Fred
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 7, 11:40*am, flebow wrote:

We capsized - I was lucky to make it twice thru some major rapids w
brush , logjams all around

Like most of us I've come close to buying the farm a few times ....
and in manners that would have embarrassed my survivors at my
stupidity .... after it was all over, I could see the headlines in the
Montahoming papers .. "Dumb **** Californian Drowns"

They were not fishable in July There ws no

way that I would wade!

Fred, from Mid-May to late Oct there is almost always "someplace" to
fish, with reasonable success, within day trip distance of West
Yellowstone. But, you may have to alter your expectations.

I don't fish the Madison ( below Quake ) very much, not my style, but
one of the very best days I've had there it was so high I was
literally scared to get very close to it, let alone wade, 'cause a
collapsing bank could have been fatal. I fished big nymphs tossed
from back up on the shore to land an inch or two from the shore,
caught a few very special Browns.

Again, not "my style" but sometimes one plays the game available
realizing that it makes the game of choice even more appreciated,
later.

Old January 7th, 2011, 11:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Larry L wrote:
Like most of us I've come close to buying the farm a few times ....
and in manners that would have embarrassed my survivors at my
stupidity .... after it was all over, I could see the headlines in the
Montahoming papers .. "Dumb **** Californian Drowns"

Yep, been there done that. I've been in serious jeopardy in ways
that would have been nominated for the Darwin Awards.

Fred, from Mid-May to late Oct there is almost always "someplace" to
fish, with reasonable success, within day trip distance of West
Yellowstone. But, you may have to alter your expectations.

There's someplace to fish year round in that area. I've had
glorious days on the Gallatin outside the Park in February and
the Gallatin tribs fish well on Jellystone opening day if you're
willing to hike a ways.

I don't fish the Madison ( below Quake ) very much, not my style, but
one of the very best days I've had there it was so high I was
literally scared to get very close to it, let alone wade, 'cause a
collapsing bank could have been fatal. I fished big nymphs tossed
from back up on the shore to land an inch or two from the shore,
caught a few very special Browns.

Again, not "my style" but sometimes one plays the game available
realizing that it makes the game of choice even more appreciated,
later.

I used to feel the same way but anymore if the game of choice isn't
available I'll usually just take the day off. Maybe I'm getting
old and cranky.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-01-07 17:44:42 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
said:

I used to feel the same way but anymore if the game of choice isn't
available I'll usually just take the day off. Maybe I'm getting
old and cranky.

Maybe?

Old January 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 7, 10:45*am, Larry L wrote:
Another thread got me thinking about the South Fork of the Snake.

That reminded me that a fellow I knew that generously helped me learn
a lovely river Russell turned me onto, died in a drift boat accident
on the South Fork late last season.

those thoughts teamed up to produce this off season reminder that
fishing includes hazards ... be careful out there when you get a
chance to be there.

The nearest I came to buying it was in Mexico, the Baja. My spin
casting lure was caught in an old fishing net in the heavy surf. I
waded to retrieve it and got my feet tangled in the net, and was
pulled down over my head. Barely freed myself. Lost the lure. Close
call.

Currently in Costa Rica at the Monte Verde cloud forest -- ecotouring,
not fishing. Going down the Pacific coast soon, and will try to hook
up on Roosterfish.