DNR Bans Felt Soles In Maryland Waters

Old March 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default DNR Bans Felt Soles In Maryland Waters

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...aryland-Waters

I wonder if this will catch on in other states!?

JT

Old March 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:12:47 -0700, "JT"
wrote:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...aryland-Waters

I wonder if this will catch on in other states!?

JT

I think taht this will spread to other states esp MT where fishing
plays a large part in the revenue from tourism
I have thought a few times of changing my wading boots or felt solees
but I have done nothing as yet My wading shoes are still in good
condition

I remember reading a few reviews on the newest gear to replace felt
Some of the reviews were very unfavorable - too slipery
There was also some discussion on this list

I wonder if we can reprise this disussion as we may soon have no
choice but to replace the felt.

Fred
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
"JT" wrote:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...aryland-Waters

I wonder if this will catch on in other states!?

I think taht this will spread to other states esp MT where fishing
plays a large part in the revenue from tourism
I have thought a few times of changing my wading boots or felt solees
but I have done nothing as yet My wading shoes are still in good
condition

I remember reading a few reviews on the newest gear to replace felt
Some of the reviews were very unfavorable - too slipery
There was also some discussion on this list

I wonder if we can reprise this disussion as we may soon have no
choice but to replace the felt.

I replaced my Chota STL Plus felts with Chota's Rockloc and found
them to be nigh on useless without the studs installed. I replaced
those with the Chota Caney Fork which has something called a Dual
Density ATX100 sole. The Caney Fork is marginally better than the
Rockloc but neither one comes close to replacing felt.

I'm still looking and will be following this thread with interest.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-29 12:12:47 -0400, "JT" said:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...aryland-Waters

wonder if this will catch on in other states!?

JT

Although felt soles are thought to spread didymo, I think such a ban
will be in vain. Shoe laces, boats, even fishing lines can spread it
from what I've heard, to say nothing of natural causes (birds and
animals). I've been on a few rivers that have bleach stations for use
by anglers. All of these efforts will help, no doubt, but I think they
will not stop it. A solution to kill it in the stream is surely needed.

I shudder to think of it getting in the streams out West, Alaska, and
my beloved Maine waters. I have bought a new set of waders and boots
and will dedicate them exclusively to the Rapid River. Maine waters
are surrounded by it; Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and
Canada's Maritime Provinces are all infected with it. The bleach
stations I mentioned will help *if they are used*. Trouble is I have
seen anglers ignore them.
I have witnessed illegal stocking of predator fish in trophy brook
trout waters by some yahoo. I suspect there are other yahoos who
wouldn't care if they infected water with this latest danger.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Mar 29, 9:37*am, wrote:

I remember reading a few reviews on the newest gear to replace felt
Some of the reviews were very unfavorable - too slipery
There was also some discussion on this list

I wonder if we can reprise this disussion as we may soon have no
choice but to replace the felt.

A) felt will almost certainly be banned elsewhere ... both Idaho and
Montana are reviewing it as we type

B) prepare to fall down .... more

C) I use some Patagonia non-felted in less lethal wading
situations ... but they suck, without studs. However, I have it on
very good authority that Patagonia coming out with a new and vastly
better product, soon ... time will tell

D) put the studs in non-felted boots and they are pretty good for
wading but not for those who fish out of custom built, hand made and
lovingly crafted wooden boats ;-(

E) I agree changes will only slow down the problem ... but maybe that
will allow time for a better solution to be evolved ...

Old March 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
dr.narcolepsy[_2_]

On Mar 29, 4:49*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Is there something, along the concept of the material that you put in
paint to keep live things from growing on the hull of a ship, that can
be used in felt?

I've been loving Cabela's el cheapo wading booties all these years.
Based on my boyhood canoeing experiences, I think I'm going to make
myself some aluminum boots.
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 29, 3:49*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Is there something, along the concept of the material that you put in
paint to keep live things from growing on the hull of a ship, that can
be used in felt?
Frank Reid

Yes.

And it works just as well.

giles
or, to put it in the vernacular, how long can you hold your breath?
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:38:40 -0700 (PDT), "dr.narcolepsy"
wrote:

On Mar 29, 4:49*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Is there something, along the concept of the material that you put in
paint to keep live things from growing on the hull of a ship, that can
be used in felt?

I've been loving Cabela's el cheapo wading booties all these years.
Based on my boyhood canoeing experiences, I think I'm going to make
myself some aluminum boots.

Felt is really only a needle punched non woven (It is udually heavier
more dense and multidirectionally stronger than most nneedle punches
The initial non woven (poly) fibers and substrate are quite lees lofty
(thin)
Then a needle machine emplying needles w hooks to pull out the fibers
to get a heavier looking product taking up more spave for that "High

( Iould like to use the machine to groom the scalp hair on a goat that
mayo read tis on list )

Felt, although the fibers are concentrated ,they would soak up paint
like a sponge - but quite unevenky w diffreent absorption rates pwer
THICK and thin areas (similar to a chemicaLly bonded saturated there
are uneven amounts of fibers in different ares - They fibers are
definitely not evenly laid down
It may also adversely affect multidirectional strength and stability

There are producta that would more readily address the problem(s) than
felt

A few companiues have obviously tried rubber
Vibram soles are top of the line for on land apps (( I do believe
goats have souls so in realtity it is not a goat frequenting ROFF

I may not nelieve in a suopreme creator but I nbelieve that each of us
- animals too had a dustinct soul.

Soren Kierkegaard
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-03-29 12:12:47 -0400, "JT" said:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...ry_id=141&titl....

[...]

Good stuff....um.....except for two things.

1. No, bleaching will not help at all.

2. No, Maine is not in the west.....well, unless you live in maybe the
Azores or something.

I have witnessed illegal stocking of predator fish in trophy brook
trout waters by some yahoo.

Brook trout are salmonids. They are predators.

I suspect there are other yahoos who
wouldn't care if they infected water with this latest danger.

Correct. They'll go to Kamchatka, Easter Island, the Turks and Cacos,
Curdistan.....whereverthe****. They don't care.

moron.

g.

Old March 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 29, 6:38*pm, "dr.narcolepsy" wrote:
On Mar 29, 4:49*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Is there something, along the concept of the material that you put in
paint to keep live things from growing on the hull of a ship, that can
be used in felt?

I've been loving Cabela's el cheapo wading booties all these years.
Based on my boyhood canoeing experiences, I think I'm going to make
myself some aluminum boots.

Good idea. But don't get the idea that this is a good excuse to skimp
on the headgear.

****wit.

g.