TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#1 (intro)

Old April 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#2

On 4/9/2011 8:50 AM, Tim J. wrote:
typed:
snip
i particularly liked our
grand lady hostess for our rental in congo town, ms. rosalita davis.
her husband died a few weeks before our arrival. they had been
married 65 years. she couldn't bring herself to visit his grave that
was in a small cemetery about 1/4 down the road. still, she always
had a smile for us, happy words, and an "amen" to share. in addition,
she cooked and gave to us conch fritters and bread. a beautiful lady.
her son jerry lived next door. he is a talented wood carver. danl and
i bought some of his works for our spouses... very handy. he was an
interesting guy to talk with as well.

Nice TR, Jeff. It's really all about the people you meet and with whom you
share time and stories, isn't it?

it was a facinating trip and new fishing for me. danl and willi are
simply the best folks to share a trip with... the happiness and
friendliness of the bahamian people we met, despite living in pretty
desperate economic conditions, was an eye opener.

jeff
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#3

On 4/9/2011 1:35 PM, jeff wrote:

don't buy the "lamb."

ok, this sounds like a statement with a good story behind it.......

Tom
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-09 14:01:09 -0400, Tom Littleton said:

On 4/9/2011 1:35 PM, jeff wrote:

don't buy the "lamb."

ok, this sounds like a statement with a good story behind it.......

Tom

Uh, probably. Last time Miller cooked anything it was eggs, over greasy.

d;o)

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 14:01:09 -0400, Tom Littleton
wrote:

On 4/9/2011 1:35 PM, jeff wrote:

don't buy the "lamb."

We had a dog Josh (a great dog) for 15 years
Josh was a mixed breed hound mainly Blue Tick & some Coon hound
Everytime we would cook lamb he would run away and refuse to come back
into the house - It was as if he thought that he was next for the
pot.
We did not eat lamb for most of those 15 yrs and we still don't eat
lamb

Joshua gone Barbados
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjeokxEpTHA
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2011-04-09 14:01:09 -0400, Tom Littleton said:

On 4/9/2011 1:35 PM, jeff wrote:

don't buy the "lamb."

ok, this sounds like a statement with a good story behind it.......

Tom

Uh, probably. Last time Miller cooked anything it was eggs, over greasy.

d;o)

yup... i love lamb. i buy it and cook it at home all the time. tasty,
gamey flavor.

grocery shopping on south andros is a challenge...sorta a scavenger
hunt. there isn't a grocery store as we amurricans know it. lots of
small independent spots, "bridgette's" "lilnelles", "m&m's", scattered
about. hit or miss provisioning. we never found a spot that sold a bag
of ice or an ice chest, for example.

the supply boat comes in from nassau on tuesdays. shopping on wednesday
is the custom. there isn't much in the way of meat products...other
than cracked conch and snapper. restaurants (term used very loosely) ask
that you call in advance to check on what they have to cook. we ate at
ezrena's twice...each time she didn't have what we wanted to order from
her menu. shopping, we (danl) found some hamburger meat, and bacon once.
so, when at some small spot around kemps bay i opened a 1965 freezer
and saw what appeared to be frozen lamb chops...well, i overreacted and
bought a bunch. once thawed and cooked (danl cooked them on a grill),
they were more akin to tough goat meat with lots of fat and bones, and
quickly became dog food for our four-legged friends. really, really bad
stuff. but, the dogs loved it! and dave, no one had irritable bowels.
but, don't buy the lamb on south andros....i think it's really goat meat
from the town of mars bay at the south end of the island...g.

one of my favorite memories among many - ...this ugly american went to
the bar at the emerald palms resort, an upscale spot. nice bar. no one
was there except the bahamian bartender. i always order a rum punch at
every island bar i visit...so, did that. the guy fixed one to go,
charge was $8 (yeah, tourist resort prices...it was $12 at tiamo) and i
gave him a $20 bill. he didn't have change, so he went to the resort
front desk. they didn't have change either! i had $7, but other than
that, nothing smaller than the 20. so, i told the guy i'd give him the
7 and he could trust me to come back with the balance and a tip, or i'd
give him the 20 and i'd trust him until i returned. he chose the $7.
that sorta sums up the place and the locals we met.

jeff

jeff
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-09 20:02:55 -0400, jeff said:

rtender. i always order a rum punch at every island bar i visit...so,
did that. the guy fixed one to go, charge was $8 (yeah, tourist resort
prices...it was $12 at tiamo) and i gave him a $20 bill. he didn't have
change, so he went to the resort front desk. they didn't have change
either! i had $7, but other than that, nothing smaller than the 20.
so, i told the guy i'd give him the 7 and he could trust me to come
back with the balance and a tip, or i'd give him the 20 and i'd trust
him until i returned. he chose the $7. that sorta sums up the place and
the locals we met.

jeff

jeff

Mmmmm. Eight + eight is sixteen, from twenty = a four buck tip. Easy.
Don't do much drinkin', do ya?

d;o)

Old April 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2011-04-09 20:02:55 -0400, jeff said:

rtender. i always order a rum punch at every island bar i visit...so,
did that. the guy fixed one to go, charge was $8 (yeah, tourist resort
prices...it was $12 at tiamo) and i gave him a $20 bill. he didn't
have change, so he went to the resort front desk. they didn't have
change either! i had $7, but other than that, nothing smaller than the
20. so, i told the guy i'd give him the 7 and he could trust me to
come back with the balance and a tip, or i'd give him the 20 and i'd
trust him until i returned. he chose the $7. that sorta sums up the
place and the locals we met.

jeff

Mmmmm. Eight + eight is sixteen, from twenty = a four buck tip. Easy.
Don't do much drinkin', do ya?

d;o)

couldn't stay for and didn't want 2 drinks...in a hurry to get back
after a day of fishing, didn't want 2 drinks - just wanted to sample a
rum punch , no one else wanted a drink, willi was waiting in the car
accepting my last minute request to check out the bar and to get a rum
punch, and... i drink just the right amount, thank you very much!
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -pics

posted some pics on abpf...
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Apr 10, 7:24*am, jeff wrote:

and... i drink just the right amount, thank you very much!

A trick (skill? avocation? discipline?) I have spent a lifetime
trying to learn to master. Alas, I STILL always come up short. :
(

What is the secret?

giles
who notes that it isn't so much the vomiting, headaches, memory
lapses, destroyed personal relationships or general malaise that is so
disheartening as the certainty that one should be able to do so much
more after so much practice.