Your nuts are in the mail

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Your nuts are in the mail

Chestnuts were placed in the tender care of the U.S. postal service
this morning. Should be arriving at their intended new homes in a
coupleathree days.

Each recipient was sent about twenty seeds, approximately half of
which are already sprouted. They should be planted as soon as is
possible. Plant in 8 inch pots if weather is still on the wintry side
or if you wish to delay placing in what will become their permanent
homes. They must, at all costs, be protected from late season frost.
They MUST also be COMPLETELY protected from the depradations of
squirrels, deer, and other rodents. Ask anyone who got some last
year.

COMPLETELY means that there remains absolutely no possibility that
squirrels, in particular, can get at them for at least one full year,
as the seed is remarkably persistent; it will remain as an
irresistible attractant to rodents throughout the first growing season
and beyond.

American chestnut seeds vaguely resemble a sort of flattened acorn. A
typical burr will contain three seeds aligned in a row. The two
outside seeds will be flattened on one side, the center one on both.
Seeds should be planted as they would lie if tossed onto a tabletop,
which is to say that they should lie in the soil on one of the
flattened faces.....on their sides, as it were. This will seem like
an unnatural act because the root radical actually emerges from the
pointed end. It looks like it ought to be planted with that end
down. But the emerging radical splits into the proto-root and the
proto-stem. Horizontal is the right way. It should be covered by
about an inch of loose rich soil or potting mix and kept well
watered.....the soil should remain very moist to the touch. Treat
unsprouted seeds just like those that have already sprouted.
Germination rates are very high. Odds are that nearly all of them
will eventually sprout.

Full sun is best, though chestnuts will tolerate a good deal of
shade. In either case, the seedlings MUST be watered regularly and
frequently, depending on the nature of the soil and evaporation. Do
not let them get dry for the first two growing seasons. After that
they can be left to their own devices assuming they are not subjected
to especially arid conditions.

The growth rate of American chestnut is, under ideal conditions,
nothing short of phenomenal. A two year old seedling may be two feet
tall and after that it may put on three, four or even five feet per
year for several years.....once again, under ideal conditions. We
have trees here that are six years old and twelve to fifteen feet tall
and 4 inches dbh.

And did I mention that they MUST be protected, far beyond what any
normal person would think is reasonable, from the ****ing squirrels?*

giles
*"hardware cloth", quarter inch mesh steel wire is best, and don't
neglect to close the top.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On May 3, 3:10*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

Have hardware cloth, snips and 4 of these
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20102...the_dmz.ht ml
Software is geared toward furry critters (keeps them damn hippies out
too).
Frank Reid
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On May 3, 3:10*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

'bout how far apart?
Frank Reid
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 4, 8:44*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

'bout how far apart?
Frank Reid

No more than a hundred feet. Chestnuts rely on insect
pollinators.....plant them too far apart and you get no seed. 50-60
feet is better. Still allows plenty of room for each individual tree
to grow. But keep in mind that not every tree will necessarily
survive to adulthood. Tree farmers usually plant more trees closer
together and then "thin" (cull) to allow the best specimens to
prosper. You've got about twenty seeds coming. Unless you're
planning a large grove you should be able to plant relatively close
and then thin to final specs. And if you ARE planning a large grove
(or a small forest) I can send more seed next year. I can also very
likely get my hands on some Chinese chestnuts.....you can start your
own hybridizing project.

Good luck!

giles
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On May 4, 8:58*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

Got my nuts. Will start sticking them in a bunch of 8" pots.
THANK YOU!
Frank Reid
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On May 4, 8:58 pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

Got mine! Thanks.

Russell

Who might just make a forest in his backyard.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 5/5/2011 5:15 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Whew. Read the subject line and thought it was an email from an ex.

- JR
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 9, 9:15*pm, ScovilleUnit wrote:
Giles wrote in news:81e1d21f-560f-4ee5-a73c-
:

[...]

Moron!!!

moron.

g.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On May 11, 7:21*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

g.- Hide quoted text -

Exclamation vs understated moron. You decide. Vote here. Your votes
count. Winner will be the center of a Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney love
triange.
Frank Reid
Hey, I't Wednesday and I'm at a Vegas conference, drinking free booze,
looking at super models manning computer geek booths. Gotta have some
kinda fun. By the way, whoever thought putting a clueless super model
in a booth in front of a bunch of IT geeks who get woodies thinking
about 100 Gb throughput is an idiot.