Nuts......and other things

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Nuts......and other things

Rumor has it that there are still a few chestnuts around that have not
yet been planted and are still viable. Maybe so. But it's hard to
believe given the late killing frost last year, the bizarre behavior
of the chestnuts (nearly all of which dropped their seed from the
still attached burrs), and the consequent paucity of collected seed.
In any case, the whereabouts of the rumored seed is a deep mystery
whose solution seems unlikely given that a seat cushion for one of the
deck chairs (which, it should hardly require stating, is considerably
larger than a chestnut.....regardless of species) remains MIA three
weeks or more after its disappearance. No ransom note has as yet been
received.....or even so much as hinted at.

So we turn our attention elsewhere. Today was spent mostly in pruning
a mixed bag of conifers lining a hundred yard long stretch of the
driveway and in disposing of the detritus. Much of it was
chipped.....until it was discovered that the chipper had a major
hydraulic leak. The rest was burned. And a lively blaze it was,
indeed.

Alas, there is just so much killage and burnage that is justifiable
(despite liberal tolereances) in a given day. So the early evening
hours were spent in planting herbs (arugula, basil, cilantro, mint and
oregano) and sunflowers. Yes, we are aware that arugula qualifies as
an herb only by virtue of liberal definitions.....but we really don't
give a **** about that.

The plan is for the sunflowers to form a rampart around the deck which
will forestall the need for early feeder intervention in the late
summer and through the fall. They are also pretty. This doesn't hurt
at all. Larry is dubious. This is synonymous with "Larry has never
done this." This is pretty much a working definition of synonymy.

He'll change his mind when he sees the sunflowers.

Meanwhile, the mower, the chipper, the chainsaws, the gator, the log-
splitter, and all of the other power equipment is in serious need of
professional service......isn't that EXACTLY what I was saying all
****in' winter long??!!

Yes, it is.

But.....

But **** still keeps growing at a stupefying rate. Green is
everywhere. Each hour of sunlight puts on more wood than was burned
throughout the past six months.

Fecundity on an obscene scale. It boggles the mind.

giles
who would grow squash, beans, corn, tomatoes, potatoes and other such
truck but for the fact that he can get it for free from others who
grow more than they can sell or legally dump......and the asparagus,
dandelions, violets, day lilies, morels, fiddleheads, berries (of
various sorts) and sundry other goodies are free for the taking
without so much as a by your leave wherever found.

things could be worse.
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-24 22:33:18 -0400, Giles said:

things could be worse.

Indeed! Your rediculously verbose missives could be longer.

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2011-05-24 22:33:18 -0400, Giles said:

things could be worse.

Indeed! Your rediculously verbose missives could be longer.

Dave

oh jeez...the one season that never ends...

frankly, everyone's writing style is unique, some better than
others...most better than mine. still, it's an undeniable truth that no
one subscribed to this group is required to write, OR TO READ, anything
posted here. as with any literature, one can generally select the
authors they want to read and avoid those whose prose or poetry offends.
give it a try.

frankly, i enjoy the notes about life in rural wisconsin from someone i
know and who has an appreciation for many of the things that i
value...just as i enjoy your notes about the rapid and the other special
places you visit (even jawja!).

i know of very few places in the country that i am familiar with that
provide such a varied bounty during the growing season. we have farmers'
markets here, but the freely shared variety wolfgang describes as
available in his community is unique. i reckon there's gotta be some
compensation for tolerating the wisconsin winter.

jeff
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-24 22:33:18 -0400, Giles said:

[...]

Vanilla/chocolate. His writings are ridiculously verbose and boring.
The boy has to write to impress everyone with his "gift". Sanks, but
no sanks. Ridiculous, verbose, and boring. Worse than
Fortenberry/Gehrke/Mikey combined.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"D. LaCourse" wrote

Vanilla/chocolate. His writings are ridiculously verbose and boring. The
boy has to write to impress everyone with his "gift". Sanks, but no
sanks. Ridiculous, verbose, and boring. Worse than
Fortenberry/Gehrke/Mikey combined.

on the other hand, no reasonable man could deny that his communications
are far more acceptable than the long gone "tony geruga (sic?)" personna, or
the outrageous, tiresome, utterly false rantings of the gun totin' midget
from vegas, or wherever; or "beancounter", or a couple of fools that the
much maligned forty has happily chased away over the years, or the early
john baker (aka "asadi") gobbledygook from what i will call the "pungent
smoke" era of my beloved friend's career; or, for that matter, the
unintelligible blather of my own stumblings, apres ambien, shall we say...

iow, we can't all constantly maintain a level of excellence in prose
that would satisfy the demands of, say, the late frances haywood, chief of
the dept of literature, high point central high school, circa 1959.

still, we relentlessly struggle to find ourselves in our writings,
ainna?

yfitons
wayno

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-25 16:49:46 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"D. LaCourse" wrote

[...]

Let him write about fishing. He is verbose and ridiculous in ALL of
his writings. And you don't stumble, counselor. You get your message
across with a minimum of words, you try not to impress anyone with your
"gift" of the English language, and you are never boring.

Just an observation. d;o)

Did you see a doc about your neuropathy? Have you used/taken Neuronton
for the pain? Hired a personal trainer?

Dave (Heading to the Rapid for three weeks this Sunday. Plenty of room
- your own cabin.)

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gary Fredrickson

On 2011-05-24 22:33:18 -0400, Giles said:

[...]

Wow. What an incredible d-bag!

Don't know any of you folks, but I know two people I'd have a beer with, and
one guy who'd have to pay me to **** that beer on him if he was on fire.

I'd say if only the d-bag is whining, this Giles person should keep on posting
his prose. Maybe the group would be d-bag free (one can only hope!)

GF
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-25 17:30:24 -0400, Gary Fredrickson

On 2011-05-24 22:33:18 -0400, Giles said:

[...]

And you are......who? Oh, one of Giles' sock puppets. Welcome from
the dark closet, GF.

eyes roll

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 25, 4:30*pm, Gary Fredrickson
wrote:

Wow. What an incredible d-bag!

Don't know any of you folks, but I know two people I'd have a beer with, and
one guy who'd have to pay me to **** that beer on him if he was on fire.

I'd say if only the d-bag is whining, this Giles person should keep on posting
his prose. Maybe the group would be d-bag free (one can only hope!)

GF

The funny thing is that the pig doesn't give a damn about mine.....or
anyone else's.....prose style. In fact, it wouldn't know a prose
style if it jumped up and bit him on the ass.....as has happened here
many times. All it understands is fuel for the rage.

Meanwhile, I write the way I do (actually, the
ways.....plural.....that I do) because it amuses me to watch the ****-
weasels writhe. The content is what it is.....it doesn't care. And
impressing anyone here is a goal that some may aspire to.....and
that's even funnier.

There are two kinds of people in this world; those who know who they
are.....and those who are driven to distraction by the realization,
however dim. And that is funnier yet.

giles
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

wrote:

[...]

Help..... Jeffie and wayno. Giles is picking on me again. Help.
Can't you feel the hate? The RAGE? Help........

For the record, I love prose. But, I see no reason for your verbose
boring ridiculous style on a fly fishing forum. Otoh,
alt.prose.postmortem is just your style. Entertain them with your
chestnuts and non-fishing crap!

OTT, be well. smile (Really!)

Davey