A rare opportunity...

Old May 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default A rare opportunity...

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said

:

Incredible! So what did that trip run door step to door step in '05 a

nd
how much would you figure if you had gone this season? On a scale of

1
- 10, where did this trip rate? What trip would you do over again
because it was so good.

I believe the cost for the trip was about $4k, plus air fare to
Anchorage, the overnight, and air fare to Petro. I remember the far

to Petro was $1200 which I thought was a bit steep. I think it went
for about $5700 this year, plus travel to Moscow and then on to Petro.

The air fare was expensive as was the overnight in Moscow.

The Kamchatka trip is up to about $10,500 now...
http://www.flyfishingtravel.com/kamchatka/index.html

--riverman

That's the steelhead trip. Twelve days instead of the normal six. T

he
trips to the Sedanka and the Zhupanava are around $6000. I was
planning on the steelhead trip, but swmbo......... d;o)

Dave

Hmm, $6K for a six day trip, plus expenses? That's kinda steep. Why
not come join me for a Taimen trip in Mongolia...its $4700 for a 10-
day trip. I know you have Labrador already booked, but we could do a
trip at the end of July. :-)

A cursory check of airfares show the cheapest flights at $2675 up to
$5+k, with a total time of 22 hours from Atlanta to Ulaanbaatar.

uh...well mongolia is out...no way i can sedate myself for 24 hrs of
travel, and i'm done with $10k trips... reckon it's graham county,
carteret county, and hyde county til the lights get cut off...

jeff
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

It is a looooong trip, that's fer sure.

In camp. Black flies are as bad as I've ever seen 'em. Dam is running
at 8000 cfs, or flood stage if you like. A few spots to fish and not
many folks in camp, so should have a spot or two in the a.m. It was
warm, in the low 80s, but has cooled off, thankfully. Gonna be good
sleepin' tonight.

Old May 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Sorry I missed your post. Yeah, Mongolia is pretty far away, so it
takes a bit to get there. The best flights connect through Seoul, so
you can break up the flight with a shower and a nap or even a few days
checking out the sights (SK is not NK), and you can get the price down
if you buy the tickets separately (ATL-ICN (Seoul)) is $1900, ICN-ULN
is about $600. The onriver part is about $4.5K, so the total is near
$7-8K, not $10. But the fishing...omfg...20 pound taimen (lol, my
spellcheck keeps changing it to 'taxmen') slamming giant gurglers, 24
inch lennok taking dries, big greyling slamming streamers. The $4.5K
includes all in-country transport, rafts, food, tents, guide, etc. If
you're a canoeman, the price can come down considerably from there if
we do a canoe trip (it requires fewer guides, since the clients take
their own boats).

Unlike Kamchatka, this is more hospitable...the river is class 2, the
camps are spacious, and the scenery is pristine. Check out the
outfitters page: www.fishmongolia.com

I'm booked for July 1-10, then hopefully the following week for a
canoe trip. :-)))))))
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Oh, and few mosquitoes since there is little standing water. :-)
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Sounds like a great adventure. Tight lines.

Old May 30th, 2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-30 04:46:00 -0400, riverman said:

[...]

Hope you have a good time. Sounds like quite the trip. I see from the
site that they have camels. It would be worth the trip to see Jeffy
and wayno on a camel. The thought boggles my mind (if I had one).
Good luck.

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Hm.....

O.k., I'm not too big a man to admit that I may have been wrong. I
confess that your plea (delivered some years ago in these pages) was
met by at least one with a certain degree of......um......what shall
we call it......politely.....skepticism?

But it becomes ever more evident (if not to say undeniable) that
penury exerts a powerful influence and exacts a deep toll.

What was that email address of your congressperson again?

g.
who, truth be told, has been looking long, hard, and pretty much in
vain for a worthy cause pretty much ever since he discovered that he
had more money than god.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Sounds like a hoot. Big penis!

g.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-05-30 04:46:00 -0400, riverman said:

[...]

Not to seem perverse or anything, but seeing a camel on jeffie and
wayno would doubtless be even more interesting.

g.
and, no, you don't.....ipso fatso.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said
:

[...]

Well, you missed the major gist of that post. I don't HAVE a
congressman; I don't live in the US and haven't for about 20 years.
And other than Iceland and Lichtenstein or something, that particular
legislation seemed and seems woefully inappropriate.

And you missed the other major gist. Living next door to Mongolia,
it's considerably cheaper to get there than you may be projecting
based on my post. And I'm also not paying the full rate for this trip,
working off my passage as it were in exchange for some training
workshops for the staff. And there are plenty of folks on ROFF, and in
the US in general, who would truly enjoy a trip and could afford to
come in the front door. If that excludes you, then thats how it goes.
But I suggest casting flies rather than aspersions.

But nonetheless...let her rip.

--riverman