Northern Wisconsin/Yoop

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default Northern Wisconsin/Yoop

Me and the dog spent a week in a remote campsite in northern
Wisconsin. One week was not the original plan but rain, rain
and more rain in the forecast convinced me to end the trip
early.

Fish were caught (smallies and brookies, no musky), the canoe
was paddled and a fun time was had by man and beast but I've
had better years up there. The mosquitoes and biting flies were
as bad as I've ever seen them and like I said the weather sucked.

The first thing I noticed while driving to the campsite was the
road improvements. When a remote dirt road in northern Wisconsin
gets major improvements it can only mean one thing; logging.
Sure enough, my pristine northwoods paradise looked like a
battle ground scene from a WWI movie. "It's good for the animals
and healthy for the forest" say the experts, and I suppose that's
true. But it still looks like **** and aesthetics matter. The most
tasty and healthy food ever cooked would be inedible if it looked
like a steaming pile of dog ****. Just sayin'.

And then there's the logging trucks barreling along backwoods
dirt roads at 60 mph and heaven help the fool who gets in their
way. They must get paid by the load.

But enough with the whining and on to the good stuff. I read
here on roff about Frank Reid fishing in the buff. Attempting to
erase that mental image will require me to send the offspring of
some mental health professional to Harvard but it was actually
"in *A* Buff" not the buff. Thank god. I'd never heard of a Buff
so I Googled it and discovered they have a Buff which is supposed
to repel insects. Knowing I was going into northern Wisconsin's
worst insect season in years I bought one. Two words:

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* !!!

It works and it works very well. The things you can discover by
reading roff.

I fished for smallies in Sylvania which was the only fishing I did
in the Yoop, the trout streams in Wisconsin were running cold, clear
and darn near perfect so there was no need to drive elsewhere.

Not a lot of catching this year, one stellar day with the smallies
and a couple of decent days bothering brookies but a good week
for all that. Like the Cubs' fans say, wait 'til next year.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 25, 3:01*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
[...]

Damn buffs got me convinced. Will be wearing them more and more.
Frank Reid
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-25 23:31:11 -0400, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

On Jun 25, 3:01Â*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
[...]

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* Â*!!!

It works and it works very well. The things you can discover by
reading roff.

I fished for smallies in Sylvania which was the only fishing I did
in the Yoop, the trout streams in Wisconsin were running cold, clear
and darn near perfect so there was no need to drive elsewhere.

Not a lot of catching this year, one stellar day with the smallies
and a couple of decent days bothering brookies but a good week
for all that. Like the Cubs' fans say, wait 'til next year.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Damn buffs got me convinced. Will be wearing them more and more.
Frank Reid

I've been wearing them for a couple three years. They keep the bugs
away, the sun off your neck and ears, and your ears/neck worm on those
cold mornings.

Old June 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Me and the dog spent a week in a remote campsite in northern
Wisconsin.

(interesting tr snipped)

Ken Fortenberry

thanks for the read, forty. but i would really appreciate more fishing
details. gear, type of water, fish size, number and quality of available
local chiceros...

yfitons
wayno

Old June 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
Me and the dog spent a week in a remote campsite in northern
Wisconsin.

(interesting tr snipped)

thanks for the read, forty. but i would really appreciate more fishing
details. gear, type of water, fish size, number and quality of available
local chiceros...

I camped on Nebish Lake which is a fisheries research lake. That
means you have to get a permit every morning, record your catch
and return your permit every evening. Nebish Lake has a 9" to 12"
slot for smallmouth, you can't keep any fish in the slot but you
can keep 5 out of it. Most of the smallmouth are in the slot, I
caught one just over 12" and one that measured 14", all the others
were either in the slot or smaller than 9". I kept a Sage RPL 5wt
in the campsite rigged with floating line and a yellow Sneaky Pete.
Nebish is relatively sterile and crystal clear, the smallies grow
slowly. There are a lot of smallies around 12" and very few much
larger than that. Those little 12 inchers put a hell of a bend in
a 5wt fly rod and they're a hoot to catch.

My one trip to the Yoop was to fish Sylvania. Sylvania Wilderness
is about 20,000 acres of pristine, untouched, old-growth forest
just on the Michigan side of the Wisconsin-Michigan border. The
lumber baron who bought it in 1895 made the mistake of visiting
the property before he logged it out. It was so drop dead gorgeous
he couldn't do it. For many years it was the exclusive retreat for
a small group of rich folk. In 1967 the Forest Service bought them
out and tore down all their resorts and in 1987 it was designated
federal wilderness. There are 34 named lakes in Sylvania and they
are just as pristine and beautiful as the old-growth forest which
surround them. And they're full of giant smallies. Eighteen inchers,
twenty inchers, five pound smallies in abundance. Travel is by
canoe only, no motors, and it is strictly catch-and-release. For
this I use a Sage RPL 6wt. One spool has floating line for poppers
and the spare spool has a sink tip for Dahlberg Divers. I had a
*stellar* day on one of those 34 lakes with two 18 inchers come
to net.

The brookie fishing is in tiny little streams like Allequash Creek,
Stevenson Creek and Plum Creek. The alder thickets are dense and
there is no breeze in there to blow away the clouds of bugs. It's
close quarter fishing with a little seven and a half foot Winston
3wt. You've seen that rod, it's my favorite. It doesn't matter much
what bug you tie on, in those sterile little streams the brookies
will slash at anything buggy. I used a grey elk hair caddis for
the most part. I didn't do a lot of brookie fishing because of
the bugs. I was pretty muck OK with my insect repellent Buff but
poor Kaylin the dog was miserable. I fed her benadryl to keep
the swelling down but the bugs wouldn't leave her alone.

I sincerely hope this addendum to my TR satisfies your rather
rigorous TR requirements.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
(snip)

I sincerely hope this addendum to my TR satisfies your rather
rigorous TR requirements.

why, it was a pleasant and informative experience. somebody ought to start
a usenet group with fly fishing as the centerpiece...

yfitons
wayno

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-27 16:49:48 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
(snip)

I sincerely hope this addendum to my TR satisfies your rather
rigorous TR requirements.

why, it was a pleasant and informative experience. somebody ought to start
a usenet group with fly fishing as the centerpiece...

yfitons
wayno

Nah! That would never fly.

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

On 2011-06-27 16:49:48 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
(snip)

I sincerely hope this addendum to my TR satisfies your rather
rigorous TR requirements.

why, it was a pleasant and informative experience. somebody ought to
start
a usenet group with fly fishing as the centerpiece...

yfitons
wayno

Nah! That would never fly.

All of the above was fun stuff. Thanks all.

Russell
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 6/25/2011 4:01 PM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:
...... I'd never heard of a Buff
so I Googled it and discovered they have a Buff which is supposed
to repel insects. Knowing I was going into northern Wisconsin's
worst insect season in years I bought one. Two words:

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* !!!

It works and it works very well. The things you can discover by
reading roff.

Well enough you don't also have to goop yourself with DEET?

- JR

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

JR wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
...... I'd never heard of a Buff
so I Googled it and discovered they have a Buff which is supposed
to repel insects. Knowing I was going into northern Wisconsin's
worst insect season in years I bought one. Two words:

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* !!!

It works and it works very well. The things you can discover by
reading roff.

Well enough you don't also have to goop yourself with DEET?

I wore a hat, long pants and long sleeves so I had nothing exposed
except my neck, face and hands. The Buff took care of my neck and
face. I took a beating on my hands but I never DEET my hands when
fly fishing anyway. I did squirt some DEET on my hat.

--
Ken Fortenberry