Yellowstone Oil Spill

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Default Yellowstone Oil Spill

Any details on this one, beyond the sort of superficial reports one has
found in Eastern papers and news sites?
Tom
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

hope someone chimes in on this one. i'm sure i'm reading the same news
blurbs, but would be good to hear from someone who lives there.

.... we have seen what happens with oil spilled in sal****er subject to
tides and current flows... i'll be interested in seeing what happens
with oil in a runoff freshwater flow. 1000 barrels dumped in the stream.
bug life and vegetation has to suffer...where will it finally settle?
how is it captured as it moves downstream?

there was a bad chemical spill in tennessee trophy waters years
ago...the river and bug life recovered faster than expected. i've never
fished those downstream areas of the yellowstone outside the park, but
have driven by a lot of the areas where the river can be seen from the
highway...it's an extraordinary river. wish warren was still
around...he had been floating the yellowstone north of the park and
could give us a local's view...

jeff

Old July 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jul 6, 4:41*am, jeff wrote:
[...]

Though a spill of 1000 barrels is not insignificant and is a tragedy
that will have measurable negative impacts, its not as bad as is
being portrayed by some.
Remember:
1. This occurred ~ 150 river miles downstream of the park.
2. The fishery is primarily carp, catfish, & other warm water species.
3. The Yellowstone is in full flood and flowing very swiftly, thus
much of the oil will be in the lower Missouri & the Mississippi and
widely dispersed very soon.
4 The amount of petroleum product that was released into the
Yellowstone-Missouri-Mississippi basin is probably less than enters
the system in one day following any significant rainstorm - runoff
from roads & parking lots, waste oil dumped on the ground or even into
storm drains, minor industrial spills, etc.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Bob wrote:
Though a spill of 1000 barrels is not insignificant and is a tragedy
that will have measurable negative impacts, its not as bad as is
being portrayed by some.
Remember:
1. This occurred ~ 150 river miles downstream of the park.
2. The fishery is primarily carp, catfish,& other warm water species.
3. The Yellowstone is in full flood and flowing very swiftly, thus
much of the oil will be in the lower Missouri& the Mississippi and
widely dispersed very soon.
4 The amount of petroleum product that was released into the
Yellowstone-Missouri-Mississippi basin is probably less than enters
the system in one day following any significant rainstorm - runoff
from roads& parking lots, waste oil dumped on the ground or even into
storm drains, minor industrial spills, etc.

So Bob guesses all is "probably" not as bad as all that and
"probably" all should "don't worry, be happy".

We could have received just as much information from Big Mouth
Billy the Singing Bass.

Thanks a lot Billy, er ... Bob.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

NPR had a program on the spill this afternoon. i heard only a limited
portion of the broadcast, but some property owners with land adjoining
the river are describing bad conditions. the river has been at flood
stage for a while. the oil is being captured and deposited on land that
is usually dry, ruining pastures and driving away wildlife. one lady, a
lifelong resident, described her ruined pasture land, ruined
agricultural areas, an oily stench, no birds, no frogs...sounded bad in
her area. the governor, who recently extolled the virtues of montana
oil, gas, and coal production, talked about the oily sheen he saw and
the need for exxon to get people on the ground and in boats to assess
and ameliorate damage. opinions ranged from lynching exxon execs to
"drill, baby, drill" ...

jeff

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jul 6, 1:59*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

So I guess that you are one of the sky is falling contingent. No
where did I even intimate a "don't worry be happy" sentiment. My
points 1 & 2 were simply in response to the many comments I have seen
about how the pipeline should never have been allowed in the park, and
how this spill would destroy a pristine trout fishery. My point 3 was
out most of the aquatic life in that part of the Yellowstone as it
lingers in that ecosystem. My point 4 was to simply show that while
spills such as this are bad news, in the list of abuses that we heap
upon this planet on a regular basis, this event is relatively small
potatoes
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Bob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
We could have received just as much information from Big Mouth
Billy the Singing Bass.

Thanks a lot Billy, er ... Bob.

So I guess that you are one of the sky is falling contingent.

No, I'm one of those who would like to hear, from someone who
knows what they're talking about, more detail than is available
through the national media.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 7/7/2011 7:28 AM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
We could have received just as much information from Big Mouth
Billy the Singing Bass.

Thanks a lot Billy, er ... Bob.

So I guess that you are one of the sky is falling contingent.

No, I'm one of those who would like to hear, from someone who
knows what they're talking about, more detail than is available
through the national media.

Such as, for instance, the potential threat to the Fawn Lake drainage....
Tom

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Littleton wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bob wrote:
So I guess that you are one of the sky is falling contingent.

No, I'm one of those who would like to hear, from someone who
knows what they're talking about, more detail than is available
through the national media.

Such as, for instance, the potential threat to the Fawn Lake drainage....

There is no Fawn Lake.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jul 7, 4:28*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Bob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
We could have received just as much information from Big Mouth
Billy the Singing Bass.

Thanks a lot Billy, er ... Bob.

So I guess that you are one of the sky is falling contingent.

No, I'm one of those who would like to hear, from someone who
knows what they're talking about, more detail than is available
through the national media.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ah, so its all about you. If a poster doesn't give you what you like,
mischaracterize their post and use that mischaracterization to insult
them.