Health check

Old August 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Default Health check

"Giles" wrote in message

So, anyone grown up and developed an interest in
discussion?.....responsibility?

g.

*****************
Hey Wolfgang,

I have tried to adapt to face book, but it seems such a socially engineered
place. What did you like, what did you read, what stories did you look at on
cnn.

People I know post things and get offended If I don't click on their link
'cause facebook tells 'em.

Such a load of social tripe.

I mean, I got birthday greetings on facebook....who the heck knows my
birthday and how did facebook get it?

What you want a serious discussion?

Gimme a pastie and a beer and rap on my friend, rap on!

john B

Old October 27th, 2012, 05:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Sorry about the late response. Will post an appropriate escuse if anyone so demands.

I've looked at facebook. Even signed up a couple of years ago, thus demonstrating that cheap wine is not an unmixed blessing.

I'll continues to peek in here from time to time, though I suspect that sic transit gloria mundi applies as much to electronic media as to universes and such like.

In any case, it's been fun to watch so many reveal themselves (however unwillingly in some cases) for so many years. Even better was getting to meet and get to know some very excellent human beings. Facebook (and Dog only knows what next) will prove, I suspect, to be the antithesis of what it claims for itself (and what its proponents agree to with heads bobbing in imbecilic unison). The "Social Media" are anything but. It has already been noted by many watchers that they tend rather to isolate individuals from real human contact with others. After all, who actually NEEDS face to face contact with other anthropoids when it is so much easier to project a sanitized image?

As for anonymity.....nyuck, nyuck.

Mosca LaMouche
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:09:25 AM UTC-4, giles wrote:
[...]

As for me, I am going to have a wonderful experience shopping for beautiful and durable girl's shoes in Dubai. And after I find a beautiful and durable girl to wear them, I'm off to Facebook.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

george9219 typed:
[...]

That's the spirit!

Usenet = anarchy
Facebook = organized, sanitized, advertized

.. . . so they're almost identical except one is more sucky than the other.
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 6/27/2012 5:49 PM, Tim J. wrote:
Ken Fortenberry typed:

I guess I'm showing my geezerhood but I remember thinking Usenet was
awkward. There was UUCP and VAX Notes and several other discussion
formats which were better than Usenet but Usenet used NNTP and TCP/IP
so it prevailed. It was much easier to administer than the other,
arguably better, formats.

What I'm saying is, I know what it's like to get used to something
and then being forced to move on. It's happened before and if I live
long enough it'll happen again. No biggy.

It's not about you; it's about me.
... and you can't make me use that freakin' Twitter crap, either.

No need for Twitter. We can all agree to limit our posts here to 140
characters.

- JR

Old November 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:58:47 PM UTC-5, giles wrote:
So, anyone grown up and developed an interest in discussion?.....responsibility? g.

In my absence google groups has made it nearly impossible to respond to a thread, let alone begin a new one. Can't say I'm happy about it, but so be it. Barring some unconceived of radical adoption of hitherto unsuspected rationality on the part of the powers that be, this will be my last post here. Recent history has demonstrated that this news is unlikely to cause widespread consternation. Oh well.

I believe I've made it clear that I am not much interested in public masturbation. Hence, I will not be available on facebook, twitter, or any other forthcoming altar to self-immolation, bankruptcy (public, financial, or moral), or self-conscious self-aggrandizement.

Good news, ainna?

For those few misbegotten souls.....email still works.

ta ta.

g.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 6/20/12 11:58 PM, Giles wrote:
So, anyone grown up and developed an interest in
discussion?.....responsibility?

Will responsible discussion be permitted?

- JR