What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Bill Kiene

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Playboy? .................only kidden'

'L.L. Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook' by Dave Whitlock - still the best!

There are some great video/DVDs too................................. "Debbie
Does Dunsmuir"...............

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly

fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son

the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He

will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the

throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 01:06:11 -0500, lid wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:40:54 -0500, George Cleveland
wrote:

Anyone ever tried to fly cast in the days immediately after having
their gall bladder removed? What was it like. Mines coming out on the
19th (free to a good home) and I'll be off work for a couple of weeks.
Would hate to spend all my recuperation time sitting in front of my
computer monitor.

I had the old fashioned way, big cut, ugly scar sort. No problem. I
was home in 3 days. The first patient to be less than a week at that
time. Now it's the norm even for the elderly (I was about 40
something then). I would have been able to wander around and fly fish
if I were very careful as soon as they let me loose. If you have the
new surgery, you should be able to be out or the house and behaving
normally by day three. If it hurts, stop doing it. If you're tired,
rest.

When I had mine done a month off work was the minimum time. I was
bored out of my mind.

Laproscopy. According to the doctor my main pain will be from the air
they use to inflate my abdominal cavity. My mobility will be limited
by the drugs I'll be on more than the "damage" caused by the surgery.
Supposedly I might be able to go back to work after a week with no
lifting limitations but if I can I think I'll try to get my A&D
(Accident and Disability) set up for two weeks.
One would think that if a mere bear gallbladder is worth hundreds on
the Asian tradional medical market then a human's should be worth
something.

g.c.

Who realizes he probably made a bad career choice when he is looking
forward to two weeks off even if it means getting sliced up to get
them.
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
slenon

One would think that if a mere bear gallbladder is worth hundreds on
the Asian tradional medical market then a human's should be worth
something.
g.c.

Bearing in mind that the common usage for bears' gallbladders is to increase
virility in aging human males, you'll have to provide a good history to make
it marketable.

Good luck and speedy recovery.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:22 PM
slenon

Wulff's Atlantic Salmon

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Russell

Wayne Knight wrote:

IMO, the Curtis Creek Manifesto is a cute read, it's the last book anyone
should read for learning to fly fish.

Well, it's not the book Wolfgang would write. It says a lot in few words.

Russell

Oh, yeah - :-)
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly

fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son

the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He

will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the

throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

I know that what I'm about to say doesn't answer your question, but others
have already done that and it gives me the heebie jeebies to see a thread

go
this long without morphing, so........

The information you are after juxtaposed against a literal interpretation

of
the question in the thread subject line suggests an interesting line of
rumination. Aside from providing information which, admittedly, is what

you
are after (and in which they obviously succeed in varying degrees....hence
your question), "how to" books don't do much of anything very well. The
hallmarks of good instruction are clarity, completeness, factual accuracy,
and not much more....or at least that seems to be the consensus among the
writers and publishers of "how to" works. Most of them, judged by any

other
standard (and there are plenty of other applicable standards for writing

and
reading), are abysmal. In other words, and generally speaking, apart from
the more or less tedious to downright painful extraction of information,
there is no good reason on God's green Earth for anyone to read any of

them.
That said, optimism (if not reason) dictates that there must be

exceptions.
So, MY question is; are there any "how to" fly fishing books (good, bad,

or
indifferent) that are good books? What I've seen here in reviews of the
"Curtis Creek Manifesto" (which I have never seen) suggests this might be

candidate.....yes?, no? maybe so?

Wolfgang

Even so, you *do* find the occasional gem in the rough. Although not related
to fly fishing (except for a few knots), the book "Hook, Line & Sinker", by
Gary Soucie, is an example of such a book.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Doug Kanter

I see you two are lovers from way back.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Tim J.

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
I see you two are lovers from way back.

Doug - if you could include enough of the original post to help make sense out
of yours, it would help folk like me that are memory-impaired.
--
TIA,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Doug Kanter

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
-Doug