What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Doug Kanter

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
I see you two are lovers from way back.

Doug - if you could include enough of the original post to help make sense

out
of yours, it would help folk like me that are memory-impaired.

Browse through the interchange between Wolfgang and Charlie Choc. All will
be clear afterward. :-)

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Scott Seidman

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
I see you two are lovers from way back.

Doug - if you could include enough of the original post to help make
sense

out
of yours, it would help folk like me that are memory-impaired.

Browse through the interchange between Wolfgang and Charlie Choc. All
will be clear afterward. :-)

He's pointing out that by usenet convention, replies to threads should
always have enough of the previous reply to let people know what you're
talking about.

Not everbody's newsreaders allow users to easily scroll through messages
that have been read in previous sessions. When they do, not every user has
the skill to do it.

Scott
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
I see you two are lovers from way back.

Doug - if you could include enough of the original post to help make
sense

out
of yours, it would help folk like me that are memory-impaired.

Browse through the interchange between Wolfgang and Charlie Choc. All
will be clear afterward. :-)

He's pointing out that by usenet convention, replies to threads should
always have enough of the previous reply to let people know what you're
talking about.

Not everbody's newsreaders allow users to easily scroll through messages
that have been read in previous sessions. When they do, not every user

has
the skill to do it.

Scott

Yeah...I guess. I'm used to seeing everything nicely threaded in order with
OE.....

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Tim J.

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Scott Seidman" wrote...
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
"Tim J." wrote...

[...]

That's what I use, too, Doug, but I get rid of messages I've already read. Much
cleaner for me. Also, as Scott so keenly pointed out, I have no skill.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Stan Gula

"Tim J." wrote in message
Also, as Scott so keenly pointed out, I have no skill.

True enough, but don't count on me saving your sorry ass when you dump your
new canoe tomorrow. I need to remember to buy a disposable waterproof
camera...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Stan Gula

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
-Doug

One more I don't think anybody mentioned (I think).
ISBN: 0-941130-60-6
Title: L. L. Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook
Author: Dave Whitlock
Publisher: Nick Lyons Books

My copy is from 1984 when I got restarted in this hobby. I wish I had had
this book when I was a teenager and took up flyfishing with no guidance at
all - I would have saved a lot of trial and (much more) error.

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Wayne Harrison

Stan Gula wrote in message ...
"Tim J." wrote in message
Also, as Scott so keenly pointed out, I have no skill.

True enough, but don't count on me saving your sorry ass when you dump your
new canoe tomorrow. I need to remember to buy a disposable waterproof
camera...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

timmaaay and stan the man in the same damn canoe? "...the horror..."

just doesn't cover the situation!

yfitons
wayno (already beginning to grieve...)

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Tim J.

"Stan Gula" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...
Also, as Scott so keenly pointed out, I have no skill.

True enough, but don't count on me saving your sorry ass when you dump your
new canoe tomorrow. I need to remember to buy a disposable waterproof
camera...

One skill I do have is the ability to take a snapshot, so you'd better hope you
don't go in first.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Tim J.

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message

Stan Gula wrote in message ...
"Tim J." wrote in message
Also, as Scott so keenly pointed out, I have no skill.

True enough, but don't count on me saving your sorry ass when you dump your
new canoe tomorrow. I need to remember to buy a disposable waterproof
camera...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

timmaaay and stan the man in the same damn canoe? "...the horror..."

just doesn't cover the situation!

yfitons
wayno (already beginning to grieve...)

Two different canoes. Stan is no longer welcome in my new canoe.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Doug Kanter

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Scott Seidman" wrote...
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
[...]

OK. Wolfgang and Charlie Choc were bickering about who-knows-what. It
sounded like they're in the same mood I am, since the weather refuses to
cooperate with fishing. :-)

Ya know, it's easy to set up OE so it does NOT discard messages you've read.
Tell it to "watch" the conversations you're interested in. Then, sort the
messages so the watched threads are always at the top of the list. Those
threads will be red. When there are unread messages in those threads, they
subject headers will be BOLD red. When you expand those threads, the unread
messages will be bold, while the ones you've read will be in normal type.
It's really a very uncluttered way of managing things.