What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Wolfgang

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
...you *do* find the occasional gem in the rough. Although not
related
to fly fishing (except for a few knots), the book "Hook, Line &

Sinker", by
Gary Soucie, is an example of such a book.

Thanks, Doug. I'll be looking for it.

Wolfgang

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
...you *do* find the occasional gem in the rough. Although not

related
to fly fishing (except for a few knots), the book "Hook, Line &

Sinker", by
Gary Soucie, is an example of such a book.

Thanks, Doug. I'll be looking for it.

Wolfgang

Buy 5. 4 to give away as gifts. :-) It's that good.

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Wolfgang

"Russell" wrote in message
Wayne Knight wrote:

IMO, the Curtis Creek Manifesto is a cute read, it's the last book

anyone
should read for learning to fly fish.

Well, it's not the book Wolfgang would write. It says a lot in few

words.

Russell

Oh, yeah - :-)

If I WERE ever to write a book (an extremely unlikely undertaking for
someone with my attention span) I believe I would do so with the
expectation that someone might some day read it.......hence, I would
not write like I do here.

Wolfgang

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Tim J.

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

snipped everything but the OE tutorial

Ya know, it's easy to set up OE so it does NOT discard messages you've read.
Tell it to "watch" the conversations you're interested in. Then, sort the
messages so the watched threads are always at the top of the list. Those
threads will be red. When there are unread messages in those threads, they
subject headers will be BOLD red. When you expand those threads, the unread
messages will be bold, while the ones you've read will be in normal type.
It's really a very uncluttered way of managing things.

See, here's the thing: You may have been interested in the bickering, but I
wasn't so why would I watch the thread? Then, when I see a random reply out of
the blue, I think I might be missing something and I'd like to know the context.
These here newsgroups are funny that way - the messages appear on ALL
subscribers 'puters whether or not they have the "watch" flag set. Hence, it is
just more courteous to include enough of the original message so we *all* know
WTF is going on.
--
Your skill-impaired friend,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Doug Kanter

"Tim J." wrote in message

[...]

OK, fine! :-) But, if you set up OE the way I told you, it would be
graphically clear that some of this thread had gone off a cliff of its own,
while the rest had stayed on the subject of books. I'm really trying to
help, Tim. :-)

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Tim J.

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

"Doug Kanter" wrote...

[...]

Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I *DO* have it set up that way! Don't you
underst....

Wait just a minute! Wolfgang, is that you?
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Doug Kanter

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

"Doug Kanter" wrote...

[...]

No, I'm not Wolfgang! If it's set up that way, you can see....never mind.
Would you like me to type up the proper settings for you, so this doesn't
happen again?
-Doug, not Wolfgang :-)

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

OK, fine! :-) But, if you set up OE the way I told you, it would

be
graphically clear that some of this thread had gone off a cliff of

its own,
while the rest had stayed on the subject of books. I'm really

trying to
help, Tim. :-)

Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I *DO* have it set up that way! Don't

you
underst....

Wait just a minute! Wolfgang, is that you?

Hm......hard to say. Tall, athletic blond guy? Sort of Norse God
look to him?

Wolfgang

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Wolfgang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

No, I'm not Wolfgang! If it's set up that way, you can see....never

mind.
Would you like me to type up the proper settings for you, so this

doesn't
happen again?
-Doug, not Wolfgang :-)

Wellllll......let's not be hasty......certainly SOUNDS like me.

Wolfgang
who ya just gotta watch every minute!

Old April 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM
sohn

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly

fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son

the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He

will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the

throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

If by chance your son is a Boy Scout, suggest that he takes the Fly Fishing
Merit Badge. http://www.tu.org/conservation/youth/boy_scout_mb.asp
http://www.bsaflyfishing.com/bsreqs.html
Ron