Fishing Hooks

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:19 AM
fish.iddx.net

Default Fishing Hooks

the wrong hook! "So and so", says in his book that " "$%&&$§$ Nr 15678956
MUST be used, or it wont work". I felt rather sorry for him.

I somehow doubt that the fish care at all.

TL
MC

My best guess would be that fish would prefer hookless hooks. )

/Thomas

Old May 26th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Scott Seidman

"fish.iddx.net" wrote in
:

the wrong hook! "So and so", says in his book that " "$%&&$§$ Nr
15678956 MUST be used, or it wont work". I felt rather sorry for
him.

I somehow doubt that the fish care at all.

TL
MC

My best guess would be that fish would prefer hookless hooks. )

/Thomas

No joke-- about 5 or 6 years ago, somebody was selling "Touch-and-Go"
hooks, with an eye at both ends

Scott
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Frank Reid

No joke-- about 5 or 6 years ago, somebody was selling "Touch-and-Go"
hooks, with an eye at both ends

Scott

I think our own Roger Ohlund used them at the Cabin Run on Penns last
week. It was impressive. Teased 9 fish including some over 20".
--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old May 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Mike Connor

"Warren" wrote in message
SNIP
I am not sure that I want to wish you a speedy recovery right now
because I am really curious about the process and equipment used to
make hooks. ;-) I was unable to find anything on the web and was
wondering if you had any links that you could provide or the time to
explain the process, equipment, etc. The idea of being able to make
my own hooks is kind of appealing but I am unsure whether the costs
and time involved really warrant a new "hobby."
--
Warren (oh hell, get well soon Mike!:-)
(use troutbum_mt on either yahoo or earthlink to respond via email)

I have an article on it somewhere, with jig plans, tempering instructions
etc. I will see if I can find it for you. It is probably on one of my backup
discs.

Making hooks is not very difficult, just requires a little bit of practice.
Obtaining the wire can be difficult, but one may also use pins, needles etc.
It is best to start with larger hooks of course.

The tempering also takes a little practice, but is not difficult either.

Actually the most difficult part of the whole exercise is cutting the barb.
If you use barbless hooks, then it is a lot easier.

I will have a look through my discs.

TL
MC

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Scott Seidman

On 26 May 2004, you wrote in rec.outdoors.fishing.fly:

Actually the most difficult part of the whole exercise is cutting the
barb. If you use barbless hooks, then it is a lot easier.

I've seen articles on hook making, but I've never done it myself. As I
recall, the simplest bending jigs took advantage of the barb to grab the
hook and bend it, and it is more difficult to correctly bend a barbless
hook. The article I saw didn't address how to make barbless hooks.

Scott
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Willi

Mike Connor wrote:

I have an article on it somewhere, with jig plans, tempering instructions
etc. I will see if I can find it for you. It is probably on one of my backup
discs.

Making hooks is not very difficult, just requires a little bit of practice.
Obtaining the wire can be difficult, but one may also use pins, needles etc.
It is best to start with larger hooks of course.

The tempering also takes a little practice, but is not difficult either.

Actually the most difficult part of the whole exercise is cutting the barb.
If you use barbless hooks, then it is a lot easier.

I will have a look through my discs.

Do you have any pictures of hooks that you've made?

Willi

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Scott Seidman

Warren wrote in
:

Interesting, I was thinking that forming the eye would be harder.

The article I saw just recommended a widening flat area near the end of the
hook, and just snell the hook. Way easier than making an eye

Scott