Yesterday's Fishing Experience

Old April 18th, 2004, 03:22 PM
:Maišen oƒ Mayhem:

Default Yesterday's Fishing Experience

Spring has arrived after what seems like an extremely long, harsh and
cold winter. But in reality, the winter actually wasn't too bad.

After weeks of keeping a close eye on the local lakes, watching the ice
melt became a hobby, best described as an 'obsession.'
After about a 3 week long stretch of observation and anticipation, the
ice finally was gone, and the weather was decent enough to take the boat
out of the garage, and do it's maiden voyage for the year.

Having spent an entire winter of preparing the mind, and doing what
basically seems like endless research on the internet, going to fishing
expo's, buying new tackle, sharpening hooks,and not to mention the
longing, and obsessive thinking, eating, breathing, and sleeping:
"Fishing-Fishing-FISHING!'

The day finally arrived . . .

For us die-hard fishing enthusiasts, it is a welcome day that makes one
once again experience that freedom of casting the line into open water
with the sun in you're face, wind on you're back, and the familiar
rocking of the boat bringing you back to you're senses after a long
winter. The feeling one has, at that moment almost cannot be described.
There is nothing quite like it.

-------

Right now, the spawning is going hot & heavy for crappies, sunfish and
perch. (I caught a perch with what could only be explained as a boner
sticking out his pee-hole.) Interesting...

Yesterday's weather was slightly overcast and breezy, with the sun
peeking out occasionally. Overall, it was a bit chilly and windy but you
have to dress for the weather accordingly. I did manage sunburn/windburn
on my face pretty good, I see, as I looked into the mirror this morning.

*******

While fishing for spawning panfish, you are constantly casting you're
line towards shore, because that is where the little buggers are hanging
out doing their thing.
I always keep an eye out for other wildlife while I am in the outdoors
and got the pleasure of watching a pair of beavers play. They are also
hard at work trying to breed. Also, a type of woodpecker was diving for
fish and having luck catching his prey.

*******

Yesterday's fishing trip took me to a chain of local lakes connected by
a river. The water level in the river was very low. In some parts 1 ft.
was picked up on the Lowrance X-15, and at one point we even grounded
the boat in a shallow spot in the river. The prop took on some damage
too, but luckily, nothing serious.

*******

The north end up the northmost lake we fished produced only one sunfish.
So, we decided after a few hours, that we should try the southern lake
and to drive the boat there, instead of hauling it out of the water and
driving the truck to the landing. It was at the most southern point of
this lake that we nailed giant perch, crappies and sunfish.

Overall, it was indeed a great day of fishing. It's always a good day
fishing when you have to spend nearly 2 hours cleaning fish after coming
home tired, hungry and smelling like a minnow.

Walleye opener is only like 27 days or so away. There are new things I'm
going to experiment with this opener. Plastics and combos of a bucktail
type grub. Reading up in various fishing magazines, and also talking to
the old-timer's at work really fill the mind with more than enough
useful information.

As they say:
"A bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work."

Now, wait a minute . . . There is no such thing as a bad day of fishing!