tying knots

Old June 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
snakefiddler

Default tying knots

spent way fu*&#$@ too much time last night trying to tie a blood know with
which to secure some new tippet to my leader, so i went in to see the nice
folks at appalachian angler today, to see if they might be of assistance.
the nice young man behind the counter spent about half an hour showing me a
couple of different knots. we practiced with some threads, and then when he
thought i might have the hang of it, he let me do the job with a double
surgeon's knot. I'm pretty sure that was the name of it. anyway, he showed
me a couple of other knots, including a nail knot. i just hope i can
remember how to do them again when the time comes. he also tipped me off on
how long my leader should be and how long my tippet should be, and showed me
a nifty double loop kind of thing that allows changing leader with quite so
much fuss. this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

snakefiddler

Old June 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Wayne Harrison

"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

yfitp
wayno

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:12 PM
snakefiddler

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. com...

"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

yfitp
wayno

maybe you can show it to me in october?

yifitm-
snake

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Ken Fortenberry

snakefiddler wrote:
"Wayne Harrison" wrote:
"snakefiddler" wrote:
this knot tying stuff is not easy. ...

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

maybe you can show it to me in october?

That exchange has to rank as one of the most pitiful in the
history of roff, not even the use of capitalization could have
redeemed it from the obtuse hall of fame.

--
Ken Fortenberry - but at least it was on topic ;-)

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Mike

Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link
Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot
Be sure to wet ALL knots before pulling them tight or you will get curly cues
in your monofilament line......

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:47 AM
a-happy-up-yours

snakefiddler wrote:

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. com...

"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little

knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

yfitp
wayno

maybe you can show it to me in october?

yifitm-
snake

Oh, Jesus....here we go.........

--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net
Old June 13th, 2004, 12:52 AM
snakefiddler

"Mike" wrote in message
Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link
Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot
Be sure to wet ALL knots before pulling them tight or you will get curly

cues
in your monofilament line......

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

thank you for that *constructive* information. 'preciate it. the fella at
app anglers did tell me to wet my knots before pulling them. he wetted them
with saliva.

snakefiddler

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:59 AM
riverman

"Mike" wrote in message
Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot

I've been converted to the Grinner. It's easier to tie, and tightens up
without curling the tippet.

Be sure to wet ALL knots before pulling them tight or you will get curly

cues
in your monofilament line......

yep.

--riverman

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:04 AM
riverman

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link
Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot
Be sure to wet ALL knots before pulling them tight or you will get

curly
cues
in your monofilament line......

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

thank you for that *constructive* information. 'preciate it. the fella

at
app anglers did tell me to wet my knots before pulling them. he wetted

them
with saliva.

You can find out how to tie all these online with a google search. Practice
with a piece of rope, if you have one. Also, don't forget the arbor knot for
connecting the backing to the spool, and the one for connecting the backing
to the line, which I cannot remember the name of.

--riverman
how's THAT for constructive :-)

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:14 AM
rw

riverman wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

The so-called Perfection Loop is a weak knot. You'd be better off with a
no-slip loop knot. Of course, in heavy leader material it doesn't really
matter.