does anyone know...

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
RustyHinge

Default does anyone know...

There was a proposal by one/some East Anglian local 'authorities' to
charge fishermen for angling from the beach and piers.

Did this proposal die a deserved death, or has the imposition crept in,
unobserved by me?

--
Rusty Hinge
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , RustyHinge
wrote:
There was a proposal by one/some East Anglian local 'authorities' to
charge fishermen for angling from the beach and piers.

Did this proposal die a deserved death, or has the imposition crept in,
unobserved by me?

No idea, sorry.

They can probably charge for access to piers, quaysides and other built
structures but the foreshore, between the tides, is mostly Crown property
and so outside the local authority remit. There are a few places where
ownership and rights predate Magna Carta so charges *might* apply there.
Seawalls are built structures btw so perhaps that's what was meant?

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
RustyHinge

On 30/06/13 13:30, Derek Moody wrote:
In article , RustyHinge
wrote:
There was a proposal by one/some East Anglian local 'authorities' to
charge fishermen for angling from the beach and piers.

Did this proposal die a deserved death, or has the imposition crept in,
unobserved by me?

No idea, sorry.

They can probably charge for access to piers, quaysides and other built
structures but the foreshore, between the tides, is mostly Crown property
and so outside the local authority remit. There are a few places where
ownership and rights predate Magna Carta so charges *might* apply there.
Seawalls are built structures btw so perhaps that's what was meant?

No, they (Eastern Daily Press) were talking about the beach too.

I shall have to bite the bullet and get a bus to Yarmouth and ask an
angler when the time's right.

As a wildfowler (Rtd.) I do know what the law of the foreshore *was*,
but I believe things have changed a little since the 1950s/60s.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

wrote:
There was a proposal by one/some East Anglian local 'authorities' to
charge fishermen for angling from the beach and piers.

No, they (Eastern Daily Press) were talking about the beach too.

I shall have to bite the bullet and get a bus to Yarmouth and ask an
angler when the time's right.

As a wildfowler (Rtd.) I do know what the law of the foreshore *was*,
but I believe things have changed a little since the 1950s/60s.

Not a great deal aIui - perhaps the charge mooted was a toll for crossing
some stretch of dry land to get -to- the beach? We have several
toll-charging private roads/car-parks leading to otherwise free beaches down
here in Dorset.

Cheerio,

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
RustyHinge

On 03/07/13 02:14, Derek Moody wrote:
wrote:
There was a proposal by one/some East Anglian local 'authorities' to
charge fishermen for angling from the beach and piers.

No, they (Eastern Daily Press) were talking about the beach too.

I shall have to bite the bullet and get a bus to Yarmouth and ask an
angler when the time's right.

As a wildfowler (Rtd.) I do know what the law of the foreshore *was*,
but I believe things have changed a little since the 1950s/60s.

Not a great deal aIui - perhaps the charge mooted was a toll for crossing
some stretch of dry land to get -to- the beach? We have several
toll-charging private roads/car-parks leading to otherwise free beaches down
here in Dorset.

Cheerio,

Ah well, we shall see. I'm just preparing for the time they let me drive
again - for which I need a pacemaker. And there is no hurry - I have to
rebuild a motorcycle and hang a chair on it before I can think about
carrying all the gear (and the catch...).

Pip-pip

--
Rusty Hinge