TR: casting practice

Old April 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Tim J.

Default TR: casting practice

Yesterday I took the afternoon off to spend a few post-winter hours on
my local river. It was 60 degrees and mild, with a few clouds. When I
arrived at the parking area (
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/IM000419a.JPG ) it looked like it could
be a lot of fun. After donning the appropriate attire (sequined thong,
silk top hat, brown socks and black wingtips of course), I headed to the
stream. The path down was dotted with patches of ice, so it took me a
while to get there. Not being young and brave like our own Frank Reid, I
decided I liked my back and knees just the way they were with no
adjustments by the hard ground.

Once I was at the water, I watched for a while to see if I could spot
any activity - nope, nothing under or above the water. I decided there
might be a few holdouts in the deeper pools, and a guy I met walking his
dog said the state dropped a few stockers in earlier in the day. I cast
for a while from shore, then waded in to feel the water around me. Gawd,
it was good to be on the river again.
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/IM000420a.JPG

I started to see a very few teeny-tiny flies coming off the water. They
looked like BWO's, but my eyes couldn't really tell - these must have
been 24-26 sized bugs or smaller. In any case, nothing was coming up to
the surface to greet them. I fished a few nymphs and streamers, various
sizes and styles, but never got as much as a nibble. But I got to flex
my new rod I bought over the winter and got quite a lot of casting
practice in. I played with the rod for a bit, getting the feel of the
load and action. I think it will suit me fine, but I'll be glad to get a
fish on it to be sure. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 1st, 2005, 10:10 PM
George Adams

Tim J. wrote:
[...]

It's good you got out before the next deluge. I'm sure you noticed the
water is up a bit, although still a good fishing level. The water is
coming over the top at the Quabbin spillway, and has been rising slowly
for days. If we get the 2" to 5" of rain promised, the river will be
blown out for some time, except for a couple of spots which I could be
coaxed to reveal. All the other streams in the area are bank full, and
will likely reach flood stage on Saturday night. Just to add insult to
injury, they are keeping open the possibility of "several inches of
accumulating snow" on Sunday afternoon. Don'cha just love New England?
{:-(