Using cast nets

Old November 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
TG

Default Using cast nets

Hi All

What are the laws about using cast nets at sea or from the shore in the uk.
I am thinking about buying one to catch bait fish, but I dont know the laws
around this. Also what would happen if you where to catch other fish while
trying to catch bait?

Cheers

ant

Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , TG
wrote:
Hi All

What are the laws about using cast nets at sea or from the shore in the uk.

As long as you only catch for personal consumption (inc as bait) you
should be OK. There may be a local mesh-size regulation in force, check
with your neartest fisheries office. IIuic if less than 16mm mesh when
stretched you may only catch sandeels, for the general run of small stuff
16-31mm is OK.

If you sell or trade any you will need the appropriate commercial licence.

I am thinking about buying one to catch bait fish, but I dont know the laws
around this. Also what would happen if you where to catch other fish while
trying to catch bait?

If you mean mullet, the mesh size must be (vague recollection, check.) 100mm+

What sort of bait are you after? If you can get that close to sandeels or
smelt a trace of #14/#12 feathers might be better, or a vingler.

If operating from a boat, other than one processing the catch, it's the size
of fish -landed- that matters, ie., if you discard small stuff before
returning to port you are OK as far as the regulations go: That doesn't mean
I think the regulations are sensible.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/