Offshore tuna fishing etiquette.

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Brendan

Default Offshore tuna fishing etiquette.

Due to my obsession with freshwater fishing my company has invited me out
with a group of clients on a charter boat off Cape Point in Cape Town.

I know the unwritten rules of etiquette for fishing a small 18 footer on a
dam with two other people but not on a tuna fishing vessel with 7 or 8
people 30 miles out from shore.

Can someone supply me with a few rules that won't leave the charter captain
and everyone else on the boat thinking I'm an inconsiderate pig?

Thanks,

Brendan

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
licker

Don't **** anyone off it is a long swim back.

Many of the tuna charters in Louisiana don't troll for tuna. They go out to
a place called the midnight lumps. They drop 200 to 300 feet of anchor rope
and start chumming. This brings the bonitas to the surface. The tuna
follow shortly thereafter. Everyone cast out and if someone hooks one
everyone else reels in while the fight is on. If they do troll the deck
hands will set out several lines. If a fish is hooked then the fisherman
usually take turns reel in a fish. Sometimes they hand off the reel in the
middle of a fight due to the time it takes to get one in. A good place to
see pictures of tuna caught of Louisiana is at www.rodnreel.com There have
been several nice tunas caught lately along with some red snapper that had
to be released since the season is not here yet. Go to the report section
and post your question in coastal fishing and offshore fishing. One of the
charter captains may answer you or someone that been on one of these
charters. By the way if your charter captain can sell his fish under his
permit sell any blue fin tuna you get it will pay for the trip. A few years
back they had a 586 LB blue fin caught on a charter off the coast of
Louisiana. It sold at the dock to a wholesaler for over $9000 dollars.

Sarge

Old March 15th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Calif Bill

"Brendan" wrote in message
Due to my obsession with freshwater fishing my company has invited me out
with a group of clients on a charter boat off Cape Point in Cape Town.

I know the unwritten rules of etiquette for fishing a small 18 footer on a
dam with two other people but not on a tuna fishing vessel with 7 or 8
people 30 miles out from shore.

Can someone supply me with a few rules that won't leave the charter

captain
and everyone else on the boat thinking I'm an inconsiderate pig?

Thanks,

Brendan

If they are trolling, then they should have teams of trollers. Each team
gets 15 minutes or until a fish is hooked. Same trolling gear, just allows
a rod to be assigned to each person for fishing. If bait fishing, the
saying is "No angles, No tangles" As the bait swims away from the boat
(flip the bait away from the boat, or they try to hide under the boat)
follow the bait left or right and keep it straight out in front of your.
Just go over or under the other fishers rods to avoid tangles. If a hook up
still keep your fish in front of you straight out from the boat. As you go
up and down the rail, the deckhand should help you to either go over or
under the other peoples lines. If a fish is hooked on the troll, get it to
the boat as fast as possible. The other tuna follow the fish to the boat.
If you are not the hooked up troller, get a live bait ready to flip out
(fishing the slide) as the boat comes to a halt. This will place your bait
back where the fish are coming to. Give the trolled fish some room. Talk
to the other people and tell them you are coming right or left. This is
from the San Diego tuna boat perspective.
Bill

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:56 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:18:11 +0200, "Brendan" wrote:

Due to my obsession with freshwater fishing my company has invited me out
with a group of clients on a charter boat off Cape Point in Cape Town.

I know the unwritten rules of etiquette for fishing a small 18 footer on a
dam with two other people but not on a tuna fishing vessel with 7 or 8
people 30 miles out from shore.

Can someone supply me with a few rules that won't leave the charter captain
and everyone else on the boat thinking I'm an inconsiderate pig?

Never blow lunch from the windward rail...
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:30 AM
bidkev

Brendan wrote:
Due to my obsession with freshwater fishing my company has invited me
out with a group of clients on a charter boat off Cape Point in Cape
Town.

I know the unwritten rules of etiquette for fishing a small 18 footer
on a dam with two other people but not on a tuna fishing vessel with
7 or 8 people 30 miles out from shore.

Can someone supply me with a few rules that won't leave the charter
captain and everyone else on the boat thinking I'm an inconsiderate
pig?

Don't throw up on the lunch table ;-)