Why so much lne?

Old April 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
QUAKEnSHAKE

Default Why so much lne?

Just wondering.
You ever take notice of how much line is needed on a spinning reel?
I see reels 4-6# test holding 140-220 yards! Tell me what 4# fish is
going to "run" that much line out. Why not just make inside of spool
larger.
Me, the farthest out I ever caught a fish might have been 90'/30yds
river fishing for cats/carp.
How about you.

Old April 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

Me, the farthest out I ever caught a fish might have been 90'/30yds
river fishing for cats/carp.
How about you.

Joe the Elder asks- my bass pond is about 120 yard wide and 4 food
deep--floating around in a kayak, how far should I cast to get best coverage
and ability to control line- feel hit-and set hook on 2lb bass?

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Just wondering.
You ever take notice of how much line is needed on a spinning reel?
I see reels 4-6# test holding 140-220 yards! Tell me what 4# fish is
going to "run" that much line out. Why not just make inside of spool
larger.
Me, the farthest out I ever caught a fish might have been 90'/30yds
river fishing for cats/carp.
How about you.

Try landing a 22 lb fish on 4 lb line (been there and done that), I
wished I had, had 500 yds of line on that reel instead of 160.

I have been nearly spooled many times, when a bigger than expected fish
took the bait, and actually spooled a couple of times loosing the fish
and all my line.

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"QUAKEnSHAKE" wrote in message
Just wondering.
You ever take notice of how much line is needed on a spinning reel?
I see reels 4-6# test holding 140-220 yards! Tell me what 4# fish is
going to "run" that much line out. Why not just make inside of spool
larger.
Me, the farthest out I ever caught a fish might have been 90'/30yds
river fishing for cats/carp.
How about you.

Well, you have to remember that not all spinning reel users are fishing for
bass, panfish, carp or catfish. I've hooked into Great Lakes trout and
salmon on light spinning tackle that stripped out 80 - 100 yards of line in
no time at all. Then you have sal****er fish like permit and bonefish that
peel off even more line than that!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Just wondering.
You ever take notice of how much line is needed on a spinning reel? I
see reels 4-6# test holding 140-220 yards! Tell me what 4# fish is going
to "run" that much line out. Why not just make inside of spool larger.
Me, the farthest out I ever caught a fish might have been 90'/30yds
river fishing for cats/carp.
How about you.

========

I just fill my spool up, and what ever happens happens. I am not fishing
for money, so if the fish wins, I applaud em, if I win, I say "atta boy"
John!

I have caught 150 lb. sharks on 20 # test line on a Mitchel 300 spinning
reel....some times up to an hour to land em. I have had them strip off
all my line, and waded in to the surf to get line back. It's the
challenge, and how you "play" the fish, that to me, makes the sport
excitning.

I almost always fish with light tackle, I try and set my drag right, I
try and fight the fish the best way I know how....some times I win, some
times they do. And I can honestly say, some of my best memories are of
the times they won...after a good "fight"!

If it's the cost of the line that bothers you, then just wrap some tape
around the reel until it's the diameter you would prefer it to be....and
take your chances.

John B

Old April 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Guy Anderson, Sr.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:32:29 -0500, "Charles Summers"
wrote:

Rookie... Al (Jajwuth) used to cast over 100 yards!

A name from the past best left in the past....but thanks for the
reminescince. Was not Al the original troll on ROFB?
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
QUAKEnSHAKE

Well from the replies & my question you may be able to tell Ive never
hooked in to a really big fish on light line. I pretty much try to equal
my tackle to what I may catch.
There was one instance on the Red River just north of Bonham TX that
something got on and rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr snap. If I had to guess it may have
been a big gar but dont know. I had 15# test on a baitcaster but it
didnt want to play.
Thanks

Old April 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Well from the replies & my question you may be able to tell Ive never
hooked in to a really big fish on light line. I pretty much try to equal
my tackle to what I may catch.
There was one instance on the Red River just north of Bonham TX that
something got on and rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr snap. If I had to guess it may have
been a big gar but dont know. I had 15# test on a baitcaster but it
didnt want to play.
Thanks

If it was a gar, he cut you off, if it was not, you had your drag set
too tight, even though it pulled some out. Never set your drag greater
than 60% of your line test, unless you need to tighten it down near the
end of your spool :-)

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:53:23 -0500, Rodney Long
wrote:

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Well from the replies & my question you may be able to tell Ive never
hooked in to a really big fish on light line. I pretty much try to equal
my tackle to what I may catch.
There was one instance on the Red River just north of Bonham TX that
something got on and rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr snap. If I had to guess it may have
been a big gar but dont know. I had 15# test on a baitcaster but it
didnt want to play.
Thanks

If it was a gar, he cut you off, if it was not, you had your drag set
too tight, even though it pulled some out. Never set your drag greater
than 60% of your line test, unless you need to tighten it down near the
end of your spool :-)

Also note - when setting your drag, be sure that you pull/set it
through all of the guides and not at the reel.
--
Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Worker" is like calling a
Crack Dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist"