Fishing reels-Question

Old April 4th, 2004, 05:24 AM
J Buck

Default Fishing reels-Question

I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...

Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the market?

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Bob La Londe

"J Buck" wrote in message
I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...

Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the market?

I disagree, The modern 202 has an all plastic base. The 33 isn't much more
expensive and it has a metal base. I used to swear by my 606 way back when
until I cranked in a few channel cats with it and I plain wore out the base
from all the strain.

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
When I was looking for a new baitcaster, I was steered away from the
Accurist from people here. They suggested the Curado, and I liked them

so
much I now own 5 of them.

I owned several Quantums long before the users of this NG got me to try a
Curado. I finally broke down and bought one, but I have gotten so used to
my Accurists that I don't like the action of the Curado. If I was going

go for another high end reel I would probably try a Pflueger President.

As a side note. For a cheap reel that isn't bad I have a couple BassPro
MH1000 s.

Oops, meant to type MT 1000 H

One I won in at a bass club meeting, and the other I bought for a
spare before I decided to just buy the more expensive Accurists I like so
well. They both work well. You have to thumb them to keep from

backlashing
if you use them for pitching, but they can be used, and they are pretty
smooth for a cheap reel. They aren't bad at all for casting a medium or
heavy spinner bait. In fact I have one on my 3 wt Lamiglass rod that I

use
almost exclusively for throwing spinner baits.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"Aa Aa" wrote in message
Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?

Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
Quantum Accurist to see what its like.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?

Thanks....

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:40 AM
J Buck

I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...

Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the
market?

I disagree, The modern 202 has an all plastic base. The 33 isn't much
more expensive and it has a metal base

Ok, I should have been clearer, in more general terms. I meant Zebco as
a brand, not any one particular model.

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Bob La Londe

You know its funny. People often refer to the old Zebco 33 as a decent
cheap reel, yet their Quantum line is often talked down. Personally I can't
think of a reel more reliable than the Zebco 33. I still own a couple of
them, but the low price Quantums just don't seem to hold up. On the other
hand the higher price Quantum reels seem to hold up as well as anybody's.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

On the other
hand the higher price Quantum reels seem to hold up as well as anybody's.

Not in my experience they don't. I've tried both their high end baitcasting
and spinning reels in the past. I was terribly disappointed in their
performance and durability.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com