Why'd we stop calling them "German" Browns?

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Default Why'd we stop calling them "German" Browns?

Hi All,

When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. I have not heard that expression
in years. Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Aug 9, 11:20*am, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

* * When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. *I have not heard that expression
in years. *Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

Vell ist un longa schtory shotze. See in de farin pasta it vas yust
"fritzi brun" unt alles gut de chuckle. Den day changen ist to de
"Cherman Bruns" unt alles vas hoppy lak de clams. Boot von day de Uber
Verd Polizi dey say, "Nine." is un cherman gift to de vorld so ve gon
say "Shiller Brun." Unt de rest ist istory. Ya you betcha. Herr
Vandervogle
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJConner

On Aug 9, 11:20*am, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

* * When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. *I have not heard that expression
in years. *Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

We called them "Loch Levens"
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/09/2010 12:37 PM, BJConner wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
Hi All,

When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. I have not heard that expression
in years. Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

We called them "Loch Levens"

Wikipedia gives me a lake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Leven

Were your "Loch Levens" native to the area or were they imported
from Germany?

-T

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Aug 9, 11:20 am, *wrote:
Hi All,

* * *When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. *I have not heard that expression
in years. *Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

We called them "Loch Levens"

Wikipedia gives me a lake:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Leven

Were your "Loch Levens" native to the area or were they imported
from Germany?

-T

"Early stocking efforts in the United States used fish taken from
Scotland and Germany. The Loch Leven strain is more often found in the
western United States, while the "German brown" is found more toward
the Midwest and East."
wikipedia/brown trout

Frank Reid
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Because when they moved to St. Louis, they became the St. Louis Browns.
Then they moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Orioles. Some
of them, however, moved to Cleveland. You can imagine what happened.

Dave (Answers R Us)

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 08/09/2010 11:37 AM, DaveS wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
Hi All,

When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. I have not heard that expression
in years. Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

Vell ist un longa schtory shotze. See in de farin pasta it vas yust
"fritzi brun" unt alles gut de chuckle. Den day changen ist to de
"Cherman Bruns" unt alles vas hoppy lak de clams. Boot von day de Uber
Verd Polizi dey say, "Nine." is un cherman gift to de vorld so ve gon
say "Shiller Brun." Unt de rest ist istory. Ya you betcha. Herr
Vandervogle

Dave LaCourse,

Can you translate this for us? :-)

-T
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On Aug 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
Hi All,

When I was a kid, we always referred to Brown trout
as "German" Browns. I have not heard that expression
in years. Just out of curiosity, why'd we stop calling
the "German" Browns and now just call them "Browns"?

-T

Vell ist un longa schtory shotze. See in de farin pasta it vas yust
"fritzi brun" unt alles gut de chuckle. Den day changen ist to de
"Cherman Bruns" unt alles vas hoppy lak de clams. Boot von day de Uber
Verd Polizi dey say, "Nine." is un cherman gift to de vorld so ve gon
say "Shiller Brun." Unt de rest ist istory. Ya you betcha. Herr
Vandervogle

Dave LaCourse,

Can you translate this for us? :-)

-T

Why would I do that?

I'll try.....

"It is a long story, sweetheart. In the past we called them "fritzi"
browns, which always got a laugh. Fritzi is sometimes used as a
derogatory term for German men. Ed. Then one day we called them
German Browns and we were happy as clams. I love fried clams, but
I've never seen a happy one. ed However, came the day when the game
wardens said, 'No. These fish are our gift to the world, so ve.....we
will call them "Shiller browns".' And, so it came to past. Mr.
Vandervogle" closest translation is Mr. Migratory Bird who hangs
around Train Stations. Ed

HTH

Dave (Answers R Us)

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On Aug 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

I will take your word on it! :-)

-T

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On Aug 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

Take my word on it? Horse****. You asked for a translation and that
is what Herr Schnedeker said, although his German is not as good as his
Spanish or Japanese.

d.