Is there any advantage in a spey rod?

Old December 1st, 2003, 02:42 PM
Sandy

Default Is there any advantage in a spey rod?

Greg Pavlov wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 01:21:59 GMT, rw
wrote:

How about when that bubble spooks not only the individual sipping
trout you're stalking, but also every other freaking fish in the
pool?

I agree in theory. But the two times I saw someone using a
bubble he was catching fish. There was a good chance that
they were stockers, tho.

I have fished bubble and fly, controller and fly and waggler and fly for
wild and stocked fish and caught both. The bubble and controller are for
lakes and reservoirs the waggler or avon float for rivers and streams (see
this link for this method
http://www.geocities.com/angling4spo.../trotting.html ) my
wife caught her one and only fish using this method not long after we were
married (good God thats was 30 years ago) on a wild highland stream that had
never seen a stocked fish.

The controller is a short 4"-6" piece of clear acryllic bar tapered at both
ends with a swivel drilled and glued in one end. Your cast of flies is
attached to this and the other end tied to another swivel on the end of your
spinning line. The controller is basically the weight , but because of its
shape can be made to swim at different depths by speeding up or slowing down
the retrieve, its depth can also be controlled by how long you let it sink
before retrieving, it can even be run across the bottom of the lake if
needed.

I haven't fished these methods for a long while now but i know they are
still used over here in Scotland and are still very effective in catching
fish, whether I think they are sporting or not is a different matter, but
everyone to his own.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old December 7th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Stephen Welsh

Peter Charles wrote in part
:

No joke, my 15'6" 11 wt. is easier to cast all day than my 9' -

They are catching on.

Me in 1999:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...s/trip-26.html

Found this while googling about this morning ...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...=32299&typeID=
334categoryID=259

Article is on DoubleHanders in the surf with some line and wt
recommendations

Steve

Old December 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Peter Charles

On 7 Dec 2003 00:01:26 GMT, Stephen Welsh
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote in part
:

No joke, my 15'6" 11 wt. is easier to cast all day than my 9' -

They are catching on.

Me in 1999:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...s/trip-26.html

Found this while googling about this morning ...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...=32299&typeID=
334categoryID=259

Article is on DoubleHanders in the surf with some line and wt
recommendations

Steve

Stev, the URL doesn't seem to link to an article though I was able to
access the site OK. Where is it in the site? Must've spent 10
minutes looking for it to no avail.

Very interesting site, BTW.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old December 7th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:51:21 -0500, Peter Charles
wrote:

On 7 Dec 2003 00:01:26 GMT, Stephen Welsh
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote in part
m:

No joke, my 15'6" 11 wt. is easier to cast all day than my 9' -

They are catching on.

Me in 1999:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...s/trip-26.html

Found this while googling about this morning ...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...=32299&typeID=
334categoryID=259

Article is on DoubleHanders in the surf with some line and wt
recommendations

Steve

Stev, the URL doesn't seem to link to an article though I was able to
access the site OK. Where is it in the site? Must've spent 10
minutes looking for it to no avail.

The URL is missing an '&' between 334 and categoryID. Try
http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...categoryID=259
--
Charlie...
Old December 7th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Peter Charles

wrote:

On 7 Dec 2003 00:01:26 GMT, Stephen Welsh
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote in part
:

No joke, my 15'6" 11 wt. is easier to cast all day than my 9' -

They are catching on.

Me in 1999:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...s/trip-26.html

Found this while googling about this morning ...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...=32299&typeID=
334categoryID=259

Article is on DoubleHanders in the surf with some line and wt
recommendations

Steve

Stev, the URL doesn't seem to link to an article though I was able to
access the site OK. Where is it in the site? Must've spent 10
minutes looking for it to no avail.

The URL is missing an '&' between 334 and categoryID. Try
http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/article...categoryID=259

Got it, thanks.

The article confirms everything I found in '99 when I took my St.
Croix to the beach. I found some other advantages as well. When you
have a surf driving the fly inshore, you can lose contact with the fly
if you can't keep up with it while stripping. With the long rod, you
merely have to sweep the tip toward the beach and you'll maintain a
taut line throughout the last few feet of the surf line -- a place
where stripers will often hit. A two-hander is also much easier to
cast on your wrong side, either cross-body or wrong hand up -- a
valuable feature when the wind is howling on your normal casting
shoulder.

Old December 7th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Stephen Welsh

Peter Charles wrote in
:

Got it, thanks.

Sorry 'bout the missing & ... tossed up using makeshorterlink
and shoulda done ... ah well.

The article confirms everything I found in '99 when I took my
St. Croix to the beach. I found some other advantages as well.
When you have a surf driving the fly inshore, you can lose
contact with the fly if you can't keep up with it while
stripping. With the long rod, you merely have to sweep the tip
toward the beach and you'll maintain a taut line throughout the
last few feet of the surf line -- a place where stripers will
often hit.

I wasn't so much concerned at losing contact with the fly as
losing contact with the cast ... it happens ... losing 100ft + of
line sideways in the surf does concern me a little ... then I
thought I can use this to sweep the beach of "downstream" anglers -
well for at least 35 yds or so. Until some ******* cuts the line

A two-hander is also much easier to cast on your
wrong side, either cross-body or wrong hand up -- a valuable
feature when the wind is howling on your normal casting
shoulder.

That's good to know.

Steve (Pest at range)