Proposed Penns Fly Swap

Old December 6th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Frank Reid

Default Proposed Penns Fly Swap

I know its rather early and I don't want to steal the thunder from Frank
Sr.'s swap, but I'm thinking of a pre-Penns clave swap of flies that
could be used in the May-June timeframe on Penns.
I would run it early enough so everyone could have flies in hand, with
recipes and pictures hosted by Stan, to tie for the clave.
Alternately, I could "convince" Tom Littleton to tie 30 flies for
everyone going to Penns, but its hard for him to tie flies with shackles
on. (can you say "whip finisher?")
This is not an official request, but just checking on who would be
interested.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to reply

Old December 6th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Tim J.

Frank Reid wrote:
I know its rather early and I don't want to steal the thunder from
Frank Sr.'s swap, but I'm thinking of a pre-Penns clave swap of flies
that could be used in the May-June timeframe on Penns.
I would run it early enough so everyone could have flies in hand, with
recipes and pictures hosted by Stan, to tie for the clave.
Alternately, I could "convince" Tom Littleton to tie 30 flies for
everyone going to Penns, but its hard for him to tie flies with
shackles on. (can you say "whip finisher?")
This is not an official request, but just checking on who would be
interested.

I'm not sure about these swaps. Right now I'm dragging my feet on the
present DDFS swap, and the freakin' swapmeister is all over me like ants
on honey. If you promise to be nicer than this guy, I'd consider
participation.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 6th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Thomas Littleton

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
I know its rather early and I don't want to steal the thunder from Frank
Sr.'s swap, but I'm thinking of a pre-Penns clave swap of flies that
could be used in the May-June timeframe on Penns.

I can hear Makela now....."Yellow Stone Nymphs!!!, More Yellow Stone Nymphs"

I would run it early enough so everyone could have flies in hand, with
recipes and pictures hosted by Stan, to tie for the clave.

i.e: The Swap should end before February....

Alternately, I could "convince" Tom Littleton to tie 30 flies for
everyone going to Penn's

Fat Chance, there! Plus, 30 wouldn't even make a dent into the necessary
variety in that timeframe.

but its hard for him to tie flies with shackles
on.

Leave my fetishes out of this, dammit!

This is not an official request, but just checking on who would be
interested.

Put me in for the March Brown Wet, Size 10

Euthanize to reply

Seems fair enough........
Tom

Old December 6th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Wayne Knight

Thomas Littleton wrote:

Fat Chance, there! Plus, 30 wouldn't even make a dent into the

necessary
variety in that timeframe.

Hrmph! Sticking my neck way out there there should only be three
patterns needed on Penn's at that time. A pheasant tail nymph, a green
drake pattern, and this one tied in sizes from 18 - 10.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fl...erts_drake.htm (I
know the instructions don't go to the small sizes but it's the quickest
picture I could find)

Next thing you know you'll be saying I need to show up with 10
different rod and reel setups. g

I'll be ducking now.

Old December 7th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Thomas Littleton

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hrmph! Sticking my neck way out there there should only be three
patterns needed on Penn's at that time. A pheasant tail nymph, a green
drake pattern, and this one tied in sizes from 18 - 10.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fl...erts_drake.htm (I
know the instructions don't go to the small sizes but it's the quickest
picture I could find)

Next thing you know you'll be saying I need to show up with 10
different rod and reel setups. g

I'll be ducking now.

Nice Drake pattern. Now, as to the harumphing.....during that 4 or 5 week
timeframe, Penn's will offer up, by my count(and I assume I have not seen
some species) about 13 species of mayflies, 8 caddisflies, 3 or 4 stonefly
species, 3 different craneflies, several different midges. The trout will
take them all, along with assorted baitfish and larval forms not nearing
hatch periods. Feel free to fish with nothing but Adams' if you wish, but
you will leave the place scratching your head over stuff you see there,
trust me. The stream is a virtual bug factory. Part of the reason we are
moving back a week is so the visiting ROFF crew can encounter the Green
Drakes, a hatch which can be a marvel due to the sheer size of the bugs.
Still, for a true wonder of Penn's, one has to catch a real good Sulfur
night. You may wonder where so many bugs came from in such a hurry!
Tom

Old December 7th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Wayne Knight

"Thomas Littleton" wrote in message

Nice Drake pattern. Now, as to the harumphing.....during that 4 or 5 week
timeframe, Penn's will offer up, by my count(and I assume I have not seen
some species) about 13 species of mayflies, 8 caddisflies, 3 or 4 stonefly
species, 3 different craneflies, several different midges. [snip]
trust me. The stream is a virtual bug factory. Part of the reason we are
moving back a week is so the visiting ROFF crew can encounter the Green
Drakes, a hatch which can be a marvel due to the sheer size of the bugs.
Still, for a true wonder of Penn's, one has to catch a real good Sulfur
night. You may wonder where so many bugs came from in such a hurry!

I trust you Tom, never having been on Penn's myself but I have fished some
other PA streams and based on description it does not sound all that
different in terms of hatches in what you might find on a Northern Michigan
stream a few weeks later substituting hexes for green drakes. That little
roberts drake pattern matches a poopload of bugs in Michigan,

Either way, I intend to attend at least a few days this year and you can
prove me wrong. Deal?

Old December 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Thomas Littleton

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
Either way, I intend to attend at least a few days this year and you can
prove me wrong. Deal?

Deal!
Tom
p.s. are Reid and I swapping amongst ourselves?