Hurricane Report 5 (after action report)

Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:40 PM
Wayne

Default Hurricane Report 5 (after action report)

HDA Lost power at 2045 Thursday night. At 2200 turned in after
checking everything OK and slight decrease in wind and rain. Got up
0600 Friday to tail end of rain and light wind. Large Hickory tree (22
inches DBH) that was next to my front porch...was no longer. It was
uprooted and laying squarely across my 2003 Toyota. Other vehicles had
been scattered to prevent multiple hits. Po River running high and
well into flood plain, filling it. We were still 30 feet above the
flood plain so no flood danger. Large trees down throughout property.
More Hickory and Oak than Pine. Soft soil is likely culprit along with
heavy leaf canopy acting as sail. Local winds clocked at 82 mph and 20
miles east they were clocked at 108-mph. Heavy tree damage everywhere.
Lots of utility line damage. Some stoplights still out as of last
night. D. and I had lunch in town yesterday with two friends and they
had two neighbors die in the storm. One died of a heart attack at the
height of the storm and the other was killed in bed by a falling tree.
Insurance company (USAA) indicates more than 9000 auto claims from the
storm in our area alone. Still without power (including water from
well) this morning. Not expected back until Thursday at the earliest.
D. at home today to field calls from insurance adjusters. I'm at work
(hot showers in the gym). As of today the refrigerator contents will
be a loss. Severe shortage of ice in the area. Had a cookout last
night and the last of the fillets were consumed along with a couple of
luke-warm beers. Not bad by the time you get to the bottom of the
second beer. Corn, lima bean, string bean mix was excellent when
cooked slowly over a camp stove and seasoned with the last of the
bacon. PBJ sandwiches now till Friday at home. Cistern almost empty
and will have to bring in water for toilet flushes. Got the tree on
the Toyota cut off last night. Darn interesting spring action from
these trees twisted by the wind and laying on vehicles with springs.
Used up one chain so far and into last chain now. Limbing saw was hard
used and now refuses to start. Felling/bucking saw still running fine
but will need additional chain and to have chains sharpened.
Fortunately the only injuries at our house have been bruised sins from
getting around in the dark, blisters from using hand tools, and
scrapes and minor cuts from climbing over felled trees.

This was one ugly storm. Pictures when power is back and cable
available.

Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!!