Penns Report - Caddis and BWO (Nearby)

Old April 10th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Gene Cyprych

Default Penns Report - Caddis and BWO (Nearby)

My objective for going to Hemlock this weekend was for a
"shake-out" stay at the trailer and make sure it was ready when the
fishing got good later on this month. It's a good thing I did. I
arrived mid-afternoon on Thursday to find Rudy raking leaves on my
lane. I undid all of the ropes holding my tarp on but it seemed that
it was stuck. Turns out it was. A small branch had come down and put
a hole in my roof. That's the bad news. The good news was that the
hole was in the roof leading to the cabinet above the sink. There
happened to be a plastic bowl so all the rain (there wasn't much) had
gone into the bowl. Rudy was kind enough to lend me his ladder and
after a trip to the hardware store for silicone, I fixed the hole. I
took a walk up to ROFF Penns Clave HQ and everything there looks fine.
I walked up the hill and looked down at the roof and it looks very
clean.

Fishing on Penns was tough. Wading was very problematic. The color of
the water was pretty reasonable, but there was toooooo much of it. I
tried fishing below the RR bridge then above it but since I sold my
boat along with the Danforth it came with, there wasn't enough weight
in Coburn to get my fly down to where it needed to be. It was good to
wet a line in Penns however.

On Saturday I bumped into a friend at the Feathered Hook who I met on
my first trip up to Penns in 2001- Bede. I was planning on going to go
to Fishing Creek but he invited me to go to Spring Creek with him. I
accepted and we went below the Benner Spring Hatchery. We had a great
time! I caught 15 or 16 fish including a 15 inch brown. I got =BD of
them on a green egg pattern and =BD on a green weenie.

At 4:30 the caddis started coming off. I figured this would be a
opportunity to practice my timing. I used a brown caddis in size 14.
I caught 4 and missed 6 others. It's timing you know. So from 4:30
to 5:15 I fished the caddis but then they stopped. At 6:00 PM as the
sun was going behind the trees and the temperature started to drop the
BWOs came off and I switched to a size 20. I got 5 more on that fly
but missed a few more.

SO- when Penns is off limits I highly recommend Spring below the
hatchery as an alternative. If you don't mind fishing for stockies
along side bait fisherman it's entertaining. There are some big fish
there and there are a ton of them. If you go down stream far enough it
really not that crowded, even on a Saturday.

The weather on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday was picture perfect but not
fishing perfect. It was in the low 70's and not a cloud in the sky.
Water temps were in the low 50's.

Old April 12th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Thomas Littleton

Gene,
Thanks for the updates.....hopefully, the water level will be down by
next week, when the Handy One and I head out. Will be fishing on the 21st
thru 24th, so hope to see you in and around camp. We have some
"shaking down" to do as well, but look forward to some numbers of Grannoms
in the air. Just obtained a new favorite Penn's rod as a result of a
football wager on my beloved Pats. Will show it to one and all by the time
the Clave is over, but I will be up breaking it in next week.
Credit for building this one goes to Bruce(aka Soft Hackle), and the damned
rod threw 55 feet of 5 DT into a breeze tonight in my backyard like it was
nothing. Imagine if I worked at throwing for distance!
Tom

Old April 12th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Frank Reid

Credit for building this one goes to Bruce(aka Soft Hackle), and the
damned
rod threw 55 feet of 5 DT into a breeze tonight in my backyard like it was
nothing. Imagine if I worked at throwing for distance!
Tom

Oooh, new toys! Will see you next weekend! I'm coming up Thursday night,
the 21st.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Gene Cyprych

Thomas Littleton wrote:
[...]

I hope to be up there too that weekend. It depends on the announcement
my comapny expects to hear this week. If we win this contract I'll be
responsible for getting it off on the right foot and it starts Monday
(most likely) so time off might be tough. I do look forward to seeing
you, Mike, and Frank.

On Penns- like I said, it's pretty amazing to see that much water with
reasonable color. Without major rain between now and then it should be
just about perfect!

Old April 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Softhackle

Tom I cant take all the credit for the rod, I put on the reel seat,
cork and Pats logo and my nephew Brandon who is 12 did the wraps and
epoxy on the guides. This was his first rod and now he is asking to do
another for himself, it looks like I shot myself in the foot.

Old April 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Softhackle wrote:
Tom I cant take all the credit for the rod, I put on the reel seat,
cork and Pats logo and my nephew Brandon who is 12 did the wraps and
epoxy on the guides. This was his first rod and now he is asking to

do
another for himself, it looks like I shot myself in the foot.

Hey Softhackle,

Care to share which blank the rod was built with?

PENZZZ (Jeff Shafer)

Old April 12th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Softhackle

Jeff, it was built on a prototype Rogue blank, med action 8.5 ft 5/6
weight so Tom hit it right on with the lines he tested. As a gift I got
a dozen Coyote Uglys for the rod. Now I'm all set for the next 3 years
of grennom hatches. It feels great to be prepared for once.
Bruce