Clavemeister's Penns Report-Part 2

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM
Tom Littleton

Default Clavemeister's Penns Report-Part 2

First, a quick couple of addenda to Part 1: One of my early highlights was to
encounter David LaCourse driving through the Coburn area on Saturday. Despite
lacking fishing time, he was good enough to bring Roger down from the Boston
area. A public "Thank-You" to Dave, from me! Second omission was that quite a
few of the non-bassing Roffians descended on Big Fishing Creek early on Monday.
Many nice photos came of it, but few fish, and we beat a quick retreat.
As I left off, Vince had glowed over the weather forecast. This quickly
brought rain, but not the drenching, near-biblical downpours of prior claves.
No, these were civilized May showers, sometimes with a bit of thunder and
lightening thrown in.
What they did to the creeks was add just enough color and flow to make for
wonderful fishing. The cloud cover lengthened the hatch duration(things started
much earlier). In short, vastly improved fishing weather. Wet flies in the
morning yielded some fish, and deep nymphing or streamer fishing worked to some
extent.
(Aside: yes, Streamers, Peter!). The fishing was still tough during the hatch,
as it puzzled all to determine what bug was being eaten by the fish in front of
them. Some guessed right, I wasn't one of them. A fine meal had been prepared
back at Hemlock Acres, by Frank Reid, assisted by Bill Claspy, I believe. Rudy,
the new owner of the campground, joined about 18 surviving ROFFian types for
the raffle, conducted in that distinctive fashion which only Joel Axelrad can
manage. We took a tour of a new, improved 6 man cabin(it is beautiful), and the
Pig Hat was passed along to Roger, who accepted it as gracefully as can be
managed. No Duck Butt awards were handed out at the group feed, as no one had
fallen in, to date. There was still time.....
Wednesday, I joined Mike Makela in the longest damned drive for eggs and
scrapple I have ever taken. We lost 2 vehicles and 3 diner/anglers in the trek
and ended up in Coburn looking for them. A small search party went up Elk
Creek,
the rest of us fished,er,searched Penn's. Eventually, all set off for Cherry
Run, where a great group of us fished the Cabin Run, one of the longer, finer
pools in the whole Creek. Several decent fish were caught, I lost the fish of
my trip at short range. Mike Shaw pulled in a couple nice trout. The hatch
lasted for hours. Roger rose 9 fish( yes, NINE FISH, as was pointed out for
days), all on a fly with a piece of tippet tanged in such a way as to
completely foul the point. A great night of fishing ended with a late dinner at
the Sportsmans Club, and back to camp for needed sleep.
Thursday was my last full day of fishing. It started out foggy, but coffee
helped.
After a fine breakfast,again, it was off with Mike Shaw, Makela, Roger, Jeff,
Indian Joe, Lou and Tim for Spring Creek. I had a decent day, despite no really
large trout, using wet flies and caddis pupa patterns. A couple of enormous
trout were spotted by Makela and Roger. Several tried for them, including a
near successful pass with a streamer(again, Peter!). They remained, unhooked,
as we departed early to make it back to Lobster Night at the Millheim. A fine
meal was served by easily one of the best-looking women in Centre County, some
departed to camp,
some to Brownies, probably some were escorted out of the area. All I know, Shaw
and I made it back to Clave Central by 11, ready to rest for one final morning
of fishing before I left. It was peaceful, it was quiet.....ya remember the
bear I'd mentioned back in Part 1?
I'll get to the rest after I
plant veggies.....
Tom
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Willi

Tom Littleton wrote:

First, a quick couple of addenda to Part 1: One of my early highlights was to
encounter David LaCourse driving through the Coburn area on Saturday. Despite
lacking fishing time, he was good enough to bring Roger down from the Boston
area. A public "Thank-You" to Dave, from me! Second omission was that quite a
few of the non-bassing Roffians descended on Big Fishing Creek early on Monday.
Many nice photos came of it, but few fish, and we beat a quick retreat.

Tom

Keep the reports coming.

Are we gonna see some fish, bugs, river, scenery pix?

Willi

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Tom Littleton

Willi asks:
Are we gonna see some fish, bugs, river, scenery pix?

yes to all....I am collecting a "best-of" of all the digital photos taken by
all and sorting it onto a few web pages. Be patient, I am slow and stupid at
times. I should have it up before the next claveg
Tom