Southbound Sportfishing Key West Report June 4th, 2011

Old June 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
captrbh captrbh is offline
Junior Member

Default Southbound Sportfishing Key West Report June 4th, 2011

Finally, the wind has picked up, the current has picked up and along with it, the fishing has picked up too. After a week or so of very calm weather and gradually declining fishing, the Gulf Stream has moved back in close to the reef off Key West, (It was out 40 miles). Strong current and a bit of wind always make the fishing better. And true to form the last few weeks have been a blast. Dolphin, (Mahi Mahi or Dorado, not Flipper) have been moving through in good numbers. Some groups of larger fish, 20- 50 lbs are being caught in the 300-500 depths and a good number of schoolie sized fish are to be found on weed lines as they pass through the area. Floating debris has also been productive. One drawback to the strong east current is that any weed or debris found today is almost certainly out of range tomorrow.
There have been a decent number of Blue Marlin as well as a few White marlin either seen and /or caught over the last few weeks. A Marlin eats the same food as dolphin and they eat dolphin so if you’re in the dolphin, you always have a chance at a Marlin. I caught two last year, both in May. I haven’t been lucky enough to hook one this year, but I’m still optimistic.
Not many Wahoo around, but the ones that are being caught are usually big ones. Mostly in the 40-50 lb range. No real rhyme or reason to the Wahoo. They are where they are and you just have to put your time in.
I haven’t done it, but I hear the inshore fishing for Tarpon is red hot. I haven’t see the large schools of tarpon rolling in the harbor which is typical of this time of year, but I do see quite a few boats hooked up both in the morning on the way offshore and in the afternoon when we return.
www.southboundsportfishing.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Checklick mary's big dolphin at the dock.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	890  Click image for larger version

Name:	Checklick big dolphin 5-11.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	891  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wenner day 1 dolpnin on the boat.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	892