new to fishing and I have a beginner's question...

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Victoria

Default new to fishing and I have a beginner's question...

I have a question for people who know about salt water fishing....

I just started going fishing and enjoying it a whole lot ( I know, its
very strange for a female to go crazy for it), but my experience so
far has been going on a big drift fishing charter boat where once you
catch a fish, basically the 2 deckhands on the boat come and take the
fish off the hook and either toss it back if its no good, or take it
in and rebait your hook for you ( I assume this is mostly for your
safety and not so much because they want to do that for you, some
people were rebaiting on there own when the guys were busy). My
question is....what are the rules for determining if a fish from the
ocean is edible or if it has to be thrown back? I live in South
Florida so fishing for me is always something to do....I want to do it
on my own though without be supervised by a charter deckhand.

Any advice for this beginner?

By the way....this groups posts have been fabulous for people who dont
have too much experience to read.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
David H. Lipman

From: "Victoria"

| I have a question for people who know about salt water fishing....
|
| I just started going fishing and enjoying it a whole lot ( I know, its
| very strange for a female to go crazy for it), but my experience so
| far has been going on a big drift fishing charter boat where once you
| catch a fish, basically the 2 deckhands on the boat come and take the
| fish off the hook and either toss it back if its no good, or take it
| in and rebait your hook for you ( I assume this is mostly for your
| safety and not so much because they want to do that for you, some
| people were rebaiting on there own when the guys were busy). My
| question is....what are the rules for determining if a fish from the
| ocean is edible or if it has to be thrown back? I live in South
| Florida so fishing for me is always something to do....I want to do it
| on my own though without be supervised by a charter deckhand.
|
| Any advice for this beginner?
|
| By the way....this groups posts have been fabulous for people who dont
| have too much experience to read.

Victoria:

It is not "...strange for a female to go crazy for it" [ fishing ]. I taught my neighbour
Wendy how to surf fish and she loves it. She hits the beach as often as she can and she
catches some great Striped Bass here on the Jersey shore.

As for your experiences aboard a boat...
Learn as much as you can about what fish are available and what are considered trash fish
vs. what are considered gamefish as well as the edible kinds. Ask the deckhands to show you
how to bait the hook and then take over and say "I'll do it". Ask for help when you need it
and tell them you can do it whenever you think you can. You can only earn their respect.

Tight lines!

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Ray Adams

From: "Victoria"

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Ray Adams

If you live in south florida try inshorel fishing with a guide. Used to
live in Ft. Myers and wife loved fishing inshore, did get to the tarpon in
gulf when running. Trout, snook, redfish all inshore and lots of fun to
catch.

From: "Victoria"

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Flygal[_10_]

Victoria;109759 Wrote:
[...]

Call me strange and crazy....But me likes to fish

FLA is one of the few stats that has year round Salt fishing. Usually
when you buy a license (Residents might not have to) your are provided
with the regulations for keeping fish. Each species will have it's own
regulations attached to it - usually a quantity and size limit or
minims. So go to http://tinyurl.com/2tg2r3 and at the bottom of the
page are the URLs for Fresh & Sal****er regulations.

PS, your not alone....Many gals fish...

--
Flygal

':fish:www.TightLinesBlogine.com' (http://tinyurl.com/2w55de)
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
neilbrrian neilbrrian is offline
Junior Member

It is not aberrant for a changeable to go crazy for it" [ fishing ]. I accomplished my neighbour Wendy how to cream angle and she loves it. She hits the bank as generally as she can and she catches some abundant Striped Bass actuality on the Jersey shore.