Colorado River

Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
graphicjak

Default Colorado River

Hi,

I am headed to the Colorado River (Parshall area) the first weekend in
May. Does anyone have suggestions on fly patterns for that stretch
this time of year. I doubt I'll beat the runoff so I want to be
equipped with streamers but also could use suggestions for drys and
nymphs for the eddies.

Thanks

JAK
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

JAK, that will be nice...one of my fav Co spots is a mile or two east,
through
the canyons, where the train passes down along the river...One of the
most senic
spots I know....A short hike down the rocks from the highway, and not
many
folks there ever.....I am not sure of recomending fly patterns, I
uasually chat
w/locals or shopt to see what is working when I get to the spot and
start
fishing.....Good luck though......

Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 23, 9:05 am, "~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
[...]

You're referring to the Gore canyone stretch? Yes, exceptional water.
The biggest problem I've had there in mid to late summer was the
mosquitos. They *literally* drove us out one time. I'm not making this
up, but once they were on us they were on us by the thousands. No
joke, we got in the river and submerged ourselves completely, holding
on to the rocks and then made a dash for the car. Once in the car
hundreds of mosquitos were in with us and we were welted messes. This
because the bar ditch along the tracks holds standing water. The
Colorado is a very finicky river to fish. Always fish two flies, a
large one and a small one. Something attractive, something dull.

Best regards,

Halfordian Golfer
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
graphicjak

On Apr 23, 7:05*am, "~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
[...]

JAK- Hide quoted text -

Thanks beancounter, I have been in the canyon before, never caught
anything there but it looks like it could hold some large fish. That
is really the kind of water I like but I,m afraid it may be raging
through there.next week.
Take care
JAK
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 23, 1:05 pm, graphicjak wrote:
[...]

Even if it is, fish the edges and eddies. Just be damned careful.

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
graphicjak

On Apr 23, 3:30*pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
[...]

Halfordian Golfer- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Halfordian, I'l be careful, I hope this trip aint jinxed.