Giving up on Daiwa spincasters..

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
ROBMURR

Default Giving up on Daiwa spincasters..

Well I wanted a spincaster on a short rod to work docks with.
Have an old Zebco, and a few ancient Johnson reels that cast
very well but drag was not the greatest on them..
I wanted something better, thought Daiwa was the way to go.
Tried all these:
Daiwa Silvercast 100
Daiwa Silvercast 80
Daiwa Procaster 100
Daiwa Procaster 80
Daiwa Undercast 80
Daiwa Goldcast 80GC
All of these with the exception of the $50 80GC gave me troubles,
but that was borrowed and I did not get to try it as long as I wanted.

On a long cast these reels would suddenly decide that it went far enough
and the rotor pin pops out and stops the line either breaking off your
lure or sending it back at you like a missle. Contacted Daiwa, no help
there...They suggested new line...It WAS new line! I cant respool on
every 5th cast.
On some of these the line would get hung in the gap between
the spool and rotor requireing some time to fix it. All reels were brand
new with original line on them.
The 80GC has an oscillating spool to keep the line from winding wrong
and it gave me no trouble..but still has the same design as the others
that did give me trouble(big gap between rotor and spool catching line).

Now I am leaning towards the new Zebco Omega all metal model with
interchangable oscilating spool reel with 6 bearings in it.

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Bob La Londe

Two suggestions. Look back at Zebco, and work on your technique. Not sure
why you want a short rod for this. I do pretty well using pitching
techniques around docks with a 7' spinning rod.

I really can't tell you about the Omega, but I own several cheap Zebco 33s.

I can even pitch a crank bait this way and drop it between the floats under
a dock from 60 or 70 feet. Of course baits that bounce like a light spoon
or a plastic tube may be better and get farther under the dock. I could use
a little more practice, but pitching can be a really effective short to
medium rang presentation. On flipping tackle I can often make a long range
pitch and swing the rod from one side to the other to make a bait curve
around an obstackle. That is really handy for making a bait cut under the
corner of a dock.

I even found myself pitching a topwater the other day becasue the guy I was
fishing with was keeping the boat a little close for me to cast comfortably.
It worked great.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Old July 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
ROBMURR

Thanks for the suggestions.
A lot of my docks have roofs over them
and some have roll down doors so I have
to get low and sling the bait back as far
as I can. That why I like the shorter rod.

Old July 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
ROBMURR

Try pitching. The bait sails along very close to the water when done
properly

Ok, when I get a decent reel again I
will give pitching a try.
Just put one of my old Johnson Crappie
pro reels on my rod and wow does that
thing ever cast far and smooth after a
little bit of TLC..
but it really has no usable drag system
on it....
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:07 PM
QUAKEnSHAKE

I vote for the zebco33 too.

I had a 33 for over 10 years casted great then the gears stripped. I
tried the $50 Goldcast80 and Omega. Didnt like either. Why?- use of #8
Stren SuperBraid, well lack of use, the line wouldnt work in them. I
tried the GC80 for 3 days trying to get it to not bind up on the spool
rewind after rewind after rewind. I switched to Trilene XL #8 still
didnt seem to well. Not as good as the 33 it replaced. Returned it
bought the Omega well I had about the same results with the SuperBraid
/Omega as the GC80. I reutrned that one too.
I bought the $15 Zebco33 spooled it up with the SupeBraid and it
casts great. Im set for another 10+ years as far as my spincaster reel
goes.
Now the Zebo33 I believe has a new design that resembles Omega so cant
comment on the "new" one but you can still get the "Classic" 33.

Old July 13th, 2004, 10:28 PM
JIm M

ROBMURR entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing.bass and said...

[...]

Okay this might sound dumb to you, but dip the reel in water before you cast
it.

--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 3969th of September 1993

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Bob Rickard

Hey Rob,

Why are you trying to fish bass lures on bluegill & crappie reels? The only
decent reel you have listed so far is the Daiwa Procaster 80, which is a
really light duty reel. You are going to have to use serious reels with
serious gears & guts if you want to do any serious bass fishing, and the
cheap toys you are using so far don't have near the innards needed to do the
job.

Try these spincast reels, which are actually made for bass and larger fish:
~ Daiwa Procaster 120 (beautifully built).
~ Abu-Garcia #1076 (my personal favorite for bass).
~ Zebco 808, 888 or Z03 (workhorses!).

Good luck!
--
Bob Rickard