"Name this dog!"

Old December 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM
W. D. Grey

In article . net, rw
writes
I see a lot of people having trouble getting their dogs to come. They
call, and call, and call, not realizing that the more they call while
the dog won't come, the more they reinforce the behavior.

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:34 PM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:21:28 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In the UK we have a flea treatment called "Frontline" - is this the same
thing as "Advantage". It comes in little phials and one phial is
applied on to the skin between the dogs shoulder blades. The dose is
according to size/weight. One treatment protects the dog for three
months against fleas and one month against ticks.

We have Frontline here too, Bill. I use it on my border collie.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:09 PM
rw

wrote:

In the UK we have a flea treatment called "Frontline" - is this the same
thing as "Advantage". It comes in little phials and one phial is
applied on to the skin between the dogs shoulder blades. The dose is
according to size/weight. One treatment protects the dog for three
months against fleas and one month against ticks.

We have Frontline here too, Bill. I use it on my border collie.

I tried Frontline before I tried Advantage. It didn't work as well.
Advantage works perfectly for me.

I don't think they're exactly the same thing.

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:14 PM
daytripper

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:24:14 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article . net, rw
writes
I see a lot of people having trouble getting their dogs to come. They
call, and call, and call, not realizing that the more they call while
the dog won't come, the more they reinforce the behavior.

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.

He's a hack.

If a person truly connects with his dog, "treats" are unnecessary...

/daytripper
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
rw

wrote:

In article . net, rw
writes

I see a lot of people having trouble getting their dogs to come. They
call, and call, and call, not realizing that the more they call while
the dog won't come, the more they reinforce the behavior.

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.

He's a hack.

If a person truly connects with his dog, "treats" are unnecessary...

I feel pretty much the same way. I never use treats to train my dogs.
They do, however, work for many people, depending on the dog. It just
seems like a useless, too-easy shortcut to me, and I don't like the dog
expecting a goddamn treat every time he does what he's supposed to do
anyway.

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:27 PM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:09:54 GMT, rw wrote:

I tried Frontline before I tried Advantage. It didn't work as well.
Advantage works perfectly for me.

I don't think they're exactly the same thing.

They don't seem to be - Frontline claims to kill ticks too and Advantage
doesn't. Ticks are a big problem in the SE.
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:45 PM
Dave LaCourse

Bill Grey writes:

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I agree with your "make it worth the dog's while to come." Henry, our Golden,
is a wanderer. If we don't keep a sharp eye on him, he's off up the hill into
the woods to chase phantoms. One of us will go into the house and get the old
taxi horn (big brass horn with a bigger-than-a-grapefruit air bulb. Makes a
helluva toot. Two, three toots, and Henry comes running. We trained him by
having Jo and him answer the toot. Jo would come running off the hill with
Henry in fast pursuit. He got a cookie. She got a hug and her dinner.

Good to "see" you, Bill. Hope you, Anne and the pups are well.

Happy New Year.

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:47 PM
B J Conner

wrote in message
We appear to have been adopted by a rather nice female husky. I don't
much about them, but from 'net info thus far, it appears that she might
be a full-blood. We are considering "Sobaka" (basically, Anglicized
Russian for "dog") and "Sasha," but are still collecting suggestions.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Huskies and have any info to
share? I've done the 'net thing, and gathered quite a bit of info, but
any personal experience-type info would be appreciated.

Here is what I know at this point: apparently, she had a litter of pups
last year and _probably_ hasn't been fixed, she is "bi-eyed"(?), with
one blue and one brown eye, she seems, well, "natural" with a leash, and
she seems to have a _major_ flea problem that we've started to treat
with a flea bath (she needed a bath anyway) and will move on to other
treatments, but I've read something about Huskies being susceptible to a
dermatitis problem, as well.

Thanks in advance,

How embarrassing for the poor thing. It might be less cruel if you sold him
for a Vietnamese wedding feast.