Beginner seeking advice!

Old June 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Beginner seeking advice!

Hi all,

Now the sun has arrived I would like to go to the coast for a bit of
fishing. Problem is I am fairly new to all this so I have a couple of
questions you all may be able to help with.

Firstly, I intend to just use either feathers or spinners simply so that I
can get some practice casting. With that in mind, I was thinking of going to
either Portsmouth or Hayling Island this evening. So my questions a

Are the venues I have in mind appropriate?
Realistically, do I stand much chance of catching anything? If so, what
might I catch?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give,

Andy.

Old June 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Now the sun has arrived I would like to go to the coast for a bit of
fishing. Problem is I am fairly new to all this so I have a couple of
questions you all may be able to help with.

Firstly, I intend to just use either feathers or spinners simply so that I
can get some practice casting. With that in mind, I was thinking of going
to either Portsmouth or Hayling Island this evening. So my questions a

Are the venues I have in mind appropriate?
Realistically, do I stand much chance of catching anything? If so, what
might I catch?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give,

Andy.

Sorry to post late but excellant choice of venue maybe the winds are little
high around south coast at moment for good spinning. I live in East Sussex
but have fished the area between Hayling and Southsea and caught mackerel on
spinners/feathers. Also the Pompey harbour entrance is very good for that.
The Solent is a beautiful area to fish I am sure you will get good luck
there.

Old June 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

"Abu Garcia" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

As it happens, I went to Pompey harbour entrance anyway. It was a bit windy
but the sun was shining - it was lovely to just be in the open and admire
the views. I didn't catch anything at all...

Andy.

Old June 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

"Andy" wrote in message

"Abu Garcia" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah I've found Portsmouth good for if your after weed (seaweed that is) -

Old June 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

"Andy" wrote in message
I didn't catch anything at all...

Andy.

Thats fishing!!! Better luck next time.

Old June 14th, 2006, 03:55 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Andy ,when ever I am down in Pompey I have a day session on Hasslar
wall,nothing huge but it has never let me down,chuck a bait out a fair
distance on the bottom & have a dabble with a float close in,loads of Wrasse
& if you are lucky some mullet.Small hooks & worm for most species & try
light tackle & bread for the mullet. Hope this helps.

--
Cliff.

Sea Anglers Have "BIGGER" Tackle.

..

Old June 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

"Abu Garcia" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
I didn't catch anything at all...

Andy.

Thats fishing!!! Better luck next time.

I agree. It was such a lovely evening that it didn't matter at all.

OTOH, a local I was chatting to suggested a couple of other places to try
that are more suitable for my preferred style of fishing. So not a total
loss from the fishing perspective.

Andy.