Stand-out hooks / Not Bashing

Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

Default Stand-out hooks / Not Bashing

Rodney,

Don't get the wrong idea, I am not bashing you, or your hooks. I am
posting it here just as a debate discussion.
The Stand-out hooks you had sent me, the larger versions (we'll say
1's), those are great, straight point, nice gap, but the size 6's, they
are beaked on the point, I never liked the beaked hooks. It seems that
it reduces the gap, and depending on the angle, could pull the bait away
from the fish as you are setting the hook. It has been my experience
that I hook fish better with a straight pointed hook over the beaked.
Especially as you start moving towards those smaller hooks which already
have a reduced gap just from the size.
I wasn't sure if this was done intentionally, and if so, am I missing
the purpose? Also wondering if anyone else has any feelings on "beaked"
tipped hooks over straight tip hooks?

Just a thought.

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Chris Rennert wrote:
Rodney,

Don't get the wrong idea, I am not bashing you, or your hooks. I am
posting it here just as a debate discussion.

Actually I "agree" with you, as well as all the sizes need longer
shanks,, now to get TTI to make them that way.

They believe that people who drop shot want a short shank hook, actually
they wanted a short shank hook because they could not get a long shank
to stand out very well, that is irrelevant with the StandOut

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Chris Rennert wrote:
wondering if anyone else has any feelings on "beaked"
tipped hooks over straight tip hooks?

It's been my experience that the hook often "follows" the beak angle
when setting, causing it to come back out of the meat, rather than
sinking deeper. The photo linked below illustrates why I won't use
beaked hooks.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/no_beaks_for_me.jpg

Then again, I really don't care if Standout hooks are beaked or not,
because I seem to get fewer hits and hook fewer of the hots I do get
when using them. I far prefer the little Gamakatsu drop shot/split shot
hook for nose-hooking baits on the DS.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Chris, drop me an e-mail at

bob (at) yumabassman (dot) com

I'll give you TJ's e-mail address and you can tell him what you think. He
is a pretty responsive guy. I think he just does marketing, but I'm sure if
enough us say we want straight points and longer shanks he will go back to
production and say something.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Bob La Londe wrote:
Chris, drop me an e-mail at

bob (at) yumabassman (dot) com

I'll give you TJ's e-mail address and you can tell him what you think. He
is a pretty responsive guy. I think he just does marketing,

He is over marketing, but has a HUGE influence over production, and TJ
is a major nice guy. At least they did lengthen the 1/0 and 2/0 shanks,
for inshore salt water StandOuts, they work great for bass as well, as
you get to drop shot some big lures (you bet drop shotting works on big
lures, a 8 to 10 inch worm is great for catching good bass drop
shotting, just few people know that)

With longer shanks it would make rigging weedless possible, and
productive, and they would get a bit deeper in the mouth for more of a
hook set.

I know with my prototypes (much longer shanks than the production hooks)
I never lost a strike, If I felt the fish, I caught the fish. When I was
using live minnows on my prototypes for crappie, (fishing tight line
straight down) I never lost a minnow without catching the fish, and
"all" of them were top lip hooked.

I did talk them into making Jigs out of the hooks, you will be able to
drop shot crappie and bass jigs next year, I hope even the HUGE bass
jigs, think about drop shotting one of those a couple inches off the
bottom, talk about action on that rubber, it would be awesome.