Do you think this would work for landlocked surf anglers?

Old August 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
vmvaughn

Default Do you think this would work for landlocked surf anglers?

My drive to the nearest coast is 8 to 10 hours. So, if I want to go
surf fishing, it is a trip, not just an outing during normal time off
from work.

I have an idea that would help me stay in practice. I have access to a
very large lake that is known for striper fishing. (For you North
Texans, I am referring to Lake Texoma).

What about using surf fishing gear and techniques to catch freshwater
striper from the shore of a large lake as a way to practice between
trips to the coast? Has anyone tried this?

Do the anglers that know Texoma have any reason that this idea would
not work well there? For example, is fishing from the shore limited
or impeded?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

VM Vaughn
http://www.surffishingrodblog.com
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Jim C[_2_]

I am not in Texas, however I have used sal****er tactics at Lake Raystown in
PA where the largest inland stiper in pa was 60 some odd lbs, never had any
luck until I used the local tactics float rig with live bait (trout)
trolling like a snail. then I started catching fish, although I never really
gave up trying to use sal****er methods I sort of ran out of time..I was
considering trying to use a surf rod with a live trout on it..maybe that
would work.
Many years ago guys used to send radio controlled little boats with baits
attached to some type of release, bring the small boats back and wait for a
strike.
They did this in sections of the lake they were not pernitted in like the
entrance to the spill ways, I used to spend nights just watching them..The
stripers would chase the shad into that area and thats when the catching
part of fishing would take place...
By the way Lake Raystown in PA is well known for its striper fishing
also...good luck

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
vmvaughn

"vmvaughn" wrote in message

My drive to the nearest coast is 8 to 10 hours. So, if I want to go
surf fishing, it is a trip, not just an outing during normal time off
from work.

I have an idea that would help me stay in practice. I have access to a
very large lake that is known for striper fishing. (For you North
Texans, I am referring to Lake Texoma).

What about using surf fishing gear and techniques to catch freshwater
striper from the shore of a large lake as a way to practice between
trips to the coast? Has anyone tried this?

Do the anglers that know Texoma have any reason that this idea would
not work well there? For example, is fishing from the shore limited
or impeded?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

VM Vaughn
http://www.surffishingrodblog.com

Jim,

Thanks a lot. Glad to know that someone else has had this idea.
Also, the radio controlled boat idea to bring in the stripers is real
interesting. Thanks again for this.

Regards,
VMV