Rocky Crab Lake

Old September 13th, 2009, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Rocky Crab Lake

Saturday - September 12, 2009 - Day 254

Got a late start and drove up to Crab Lake today. Muskie tournament
going on - 650 boats - about 14 on Crab - had to park a long way from
the ramp.

Started fishing and it was a little slow but Linda got a pretty 3
pound plus smallmouth - she had me 12 to 7 at one point. Decided to
run to one of my favorite bays and hit a rock pile - bent up the prop
and the shaft is bent, too. Memories of two years ago when I hit
rocks in Crab and did $4500 worth of damage - not as bad this time, I
hope.

We idled on into the bay and the fish were there - We ended hte day
with 20 smallmouth each and I got one 14 inch walleye. Linda had two
nice keepers and I had one.. Most of the smallmouth were 13 or so
inches long and fought like crazy.

Back to Crab tomorrow - will put on a new prop and try ot avoid the
rocks..

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

OUCH! With two rock hits on Crab Lake, are you sure Jerry Barton wasn't
hiding on board some place? I've been following Linda's posts on Facebook
and it sounds like she's really enjoying herself. I'm glad that you could
show her a little bit of why you went up there each fall.
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old September 14th, 2009, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I think Linda is having fun but we are both sick with colds - not
really able to fish hard for more than five or six hours before we are
worn out. But 81 landed smallmouth in two days makes us both feel
better!

Sunday - September 13, 2009 - Day 255

Linda and I are staying at the Bolder Junction Motor Lodge - good
parking and reasonable rates, close to several places to eat. For
just the two of us it is much cheaper. 19 miles from Crab Lake,.

Slept in this morning then finished a magazine article that is due
Monday morning Changed the prop and got to Crab at about 11:45. Boat
would get on plane but there is a vibration when under power so didn't
run it fast or much. Managed to fish all day without hitting more
rocks.

First place I stopped I got a 16 inch smalmouth - they were on the
edge of a grass line. Linda and I both had a hard time landing fish
today - we commented yesterday about how it seemed we landed all we
hooked but I bet we lost 20 between us today wh,en they jumped.

I landed 24 and LInda landed 17 smallmouth today. With all we lost
and missed it was a pretty active six hours - we quit just before six.

:Probably going back to Crab again tomorrow.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Naw - Barton was not with me - I hit two DIFFERENT rock piles,not the
same one twice.

Monday - September 14, 2009 - Day 256

Back to Crab and thought we made a mistake - did not hook a fish for
almost an hour. Then I got a 15.5 inch smallmouth and we started
catching a few. By one log I got a 13 inch smallmouth and Linda got
her best of the day - barely touched the 17 inch line.

Found a new hole - little deep spot in a cove with a log and rocks -
we caught six nice smallmouth out of it. Best one was 14 inches.

One of the last places I stopped I got the best of the day - just over
17 inches., Caught three more about 13 inches each then got hung on
that point and when I went in to get it saw four nice smallmouth ease
by - then a school of six or eight swam by., The boat didn't seem to
bother them but never got another hit there.

Stopped on a point near the ramp on the way in at 6 and I got two and
Linda one - one of mine was 14 inches.

Total for the day - I landed 30 smallmouth with four keepers and LInda
got 14 with two keepers. We also hooked nine we saw but got off. Not
bad for seven hours.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ronnie" wrote in message
Naw - Barton was not with me - I hit two DIFFERENT rock piles,not the
same one twice.

That's true. Jerry specializes in hitting the same thing on separate
occasions.....