One Picture...

Old September 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default One Picture...

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/...y/DSCF1396.JPG
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/...y/DSCF1396.JPG

Ok... here's the story.

Some members of the Yuma Bass Man - forums were crying and carrying on about
people who trash our outdoors. One member who goes by the name Joe Cool
said if I would organize a trash pickup tournament he would put up $100 for
first place. He even sent me an MO before we had finalized to do it. The
Security Consultant (my company) put up another $100 and a friend of mine
Gary Summer, put up $50 more.

We picked a section of the Colorado River here by Yuma, Az and announced we
were going to have a tournament.

Entry Fee - 1 large bag of trash or equivalent picked up along the river.

3 fish limit. Best Bag $100
Big Bass. $75
Most Trash Picked up $75

The boat in the picture is my backup and shallow water boat affectionately
dubbed "The Tin Can." Joey, aka WABassFisher is the guy in the boat holding
up our two biggest bass for the day. There were about 20 people came out to
help pickup trash, and 6 boats on the river. We didn't do anything to
promote it or publicize it. It just sort of happened.

Bill aka sarcdoc brought hotdogs and a grill and Scott from Coca Cola
brought sodas and water so we could have a hot lunch and beverages
afterwards.

1st place for most trash picked up went to Alvin Hattons two girls. None of
that crew fished, but several anglers commented on seeing those two girls
scrambling over the rocks and through the brush picking up every bit of
trash in the area they chose to police. Joey and I won the fishing and big
fish, but only because another angler had a technical difficulty.

Arizona Game & Fish were proactive about supporting us, and we didn't even
ask. Pat Barber the local region supervisor contacted me saying they wanted
to support us, and Mike Sumner (a local enforcement officer) made sure the
local county waste transfer site was prepared for anything we brought in and
didn't charge us for tire disposal fees and stuff like that. He was also
there to help load the last bit of trash from the boats to the trucks.

I have not decided if I want to do it again. It was a lot of work and
planning, but like our forum fun tournament in the spring it will really
depend on if enough people want to do it. I suppose since the first one
went well we are kind of obligated to try and expand it if we do it again
next fall.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Bob....I think it is a GREAT idea, and also think it should be
continued! I bet you could get a lot more sponsors with just a little
publicity!

Way to go!!!!

John B

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"John B" wrote in message
Bob....I think it is a GREAT idea, and also think it should be
continued! I bet you could get a lot more sponsors with just a little
publicity!

Way to go!!!!

John B

Yeah, I went ahead and agreed to organize it this time because, "It is a
good thing," but I'll tell you it's a lot of work. I already run a local
pro / am tournament circuit, and I organize an annual forum members round
robin (3 rounds new partner each round all in one day with breakfast and
dinner between rounds) tournament. My wife is involved in the local
community theater, and I often get tagged at the last minute to help with
technical issue, and I have a contracting business to run in between. LOL.
I am NOT making excuses. Just saying its hard. The AZGFD officers and
supervisors, and others have tried to encourage me to organize something
like this annually or MORE OFTEN. LOL. I agree. It needs to be done. I
learned some things from this one, and could probably do it better next
time, but I have to think about it long and hard before I commit to a long
term promise even if its only to myself.

Old September 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

[...]

========

Just one question....what do you do with all your spare time?

The world needs more energetic, and giving people, like you and your
wife!

John B