fishing line memory

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default fishing line memory

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
news
I am using Eagle Claw at 15 lb test,

That could be part of the problem. 15 pound test is pretty heavy line for
spinning tackle and I'm not sure what diameter the line is. Remember that
the larger the line's diameter, the less inclined the line will be to
conform to the spool and the more likely it will be to spring off the
spool, especially if you're using a smaller spinning reel with a smaller
diameter spool. The heaviest line I'll ever use on a spinning reel is 12
pound, and usually I'm using 4 to a max. of 10 pound.

I use 12lb flourcarbon on one of my spinning reels and its always a
challenge. I've found the best thing I can do (if I remember) is to respool
when I came back in from fishing and let the reel sit for a couple days
rather than respooling the night before. That isn't always an option.
Blakemoore Reel Magic sprayed on the line helps a little, but not as much as
just letting set on the reel for a couple days.

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
IcUrdazedandconfused

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:36:32 -0500, "Paul Fisher"
wrote:

Is there any practical way to "unlearn" fishing line memory?
When I comes off the spool it seems ok, but when I release the guide to
cast, it jumps off the spool like a slinky and it was new line........

One thing that has worked for me is to release a majority of the line
directly behind the boat (with nothing on the line), and "drag" it for
a couple of miles. Seems to help, if I am struggling with "loops"
JMHO
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
peterriitz peterriitz is offline
Junior Member

In the absence of such instructions, the spool of Steve lying on the floor recommendations. I've never seen a spinning reel, not the line clockwise direction, therefore, the supply spool to be on the floor, making counterclockwise line off.