Night Fishing Smallies!

Old October 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Night Fishing Smallies!

"go-bassn" wrote in message
yea, and make sure theres lots of mosquitos around ;-)

As I type this, it has "warmed up" to 30 degrees. I don't think that
mosquitos are a problem anymore this year.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old October 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Ok all, I know it is fall, and I know the Smallies are up shallow eating.
Here is what I am running into! The moment the sun disappeares behind the
horizon, boom, nothing, not a bite, or anything. I switch to black
crankbaits, black topwaters, black spinnerbaits, etc. etc. When that
doesn't fly, I go to natural(shad, crayfish, etc.), white, then chartreuse
, next thing will be glow in the dark.

I have read articles on night fishing, and here is one question I have. Do
smallies stop biting for a certain amount of time as their senses adjust
to the lighting conditions. From 5pm to 6:30pm (sunset about 6:15 or 5
minutes in that general time frame). Then nothing at all, and I have gone
into 1, 2, and 3 hours after dark. Still nothing. I am still marking
balls of baitfishing on my graph, but I have not even had a bite, and I am
probably fishing after dark 2 or 3 days a week. Reading those articles, I
know people catch fish after dark, and I know people here have mentioned
night tournaments. I will say that Winnebago is not by any means clear.
I guess I would take any suggestions you guys might have. I don't get out
of work till almost 5pm, so if I only fished till dark that would only be
about an hour and a half, and that just isn't acceptable :-).

My best smallie fishing at night has been late night. I've never done well
at dusk and the several hours after for smallies, muskies, walleyes and
largemouth, but for whatever reason, not smallies.

The best night I had catching smallies was one night muskie fishing. It was
back in my days of "If it's not a muskie, it's not a fish" mind-set and I
was throwing a large, jointed muskie surface lure. I had two smallies slam
the lure within a 30 minute period, both were carbon copy fish. I measured
them both on my board and they measured an even 25 inches! Both were fat,
healthy and obviously hungry. Looking back now, I realize that I probably
turned loose fish that might have been state records! They were caught at
2:00 and 2:30 a.m......

I don't night fish a lot anymore, but what little I have done pretty much
mirrors that experience. Late night and large, steady moving surface lures.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Dwayne E. Cooper

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:49:12 -0500, Chris Rennert
wrote:

[...]

Thanks all!

Chris

For some reason, there are some bodies of water where smallmouth
(and sometimes largemouth) completely shut down when it gets dark.
I've seen this phenomenom particularly on river systems where
sewage/chemical runoff was a problem. But I've also seen this in many
creeks too...especially ones that had a tendency to muddy up quickly
after a rain/snow or where runoff was often a problem. Likewise, I've
seen some fish on some river systems shut off whenever it started to
rain. It's bizarre...because it goes against what you would normally
expect. (ie. rain usually produces better fishing on majority of
waters). The only connection I made was that the fish didn't want to
eat for some reason when they couldn't see what they were eating.
Maybe it was because they learned (somehow) not to feed bc some fish
ate things they didn't want to? I don't know. All I know is that
sometimes nighttime is like turning off a switch to
bass...particularly smallmouth on some waters.

What has blown me away is that...some of these waters will
reverse itself (after a long period of time) and become productive at
night (or during rainy periods). Maybe it's mother nature's way of
fixing a man-made problem after a period of time?

If you look at many smallmouth waters...nighttime is one of the
better times to fish. For example, down on the Tennessee river, many
people just fish at night for smallmouth and have great success. Dark
jigs, big spinnerbaits and topwater baits catch many a 6 pound
smallmouth at night down there...particularly on the main river
system. I've also found that on many natural lakes, the best time to
fish for smallies is at night too. When the sun goes down, many
smallies start roaming like crazy and its the best time to be on the
water for em'..and buzzing a spinnerbait over weeds n' rocks can
produce fish after fish.

Based on what you told me...I'd be curious to see if your body of
water had problems with runoff/sewage?

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:18 AM
mackdesoz mackdesoz is offline
Junior Member

If you find a good place where the fish are really playing in the daytime, you can go to the same place that night and get better results!