Sinclair July 10th

Old July 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
danl

Default Sinclair July 10th

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:22:00 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
wrote:

Sunday - July 10, 2011 - day 50

Spalding County Sportsman Club tournament Lake Sinclair
Water 90, hot and mostly sunny, no breeze

Started at 6:00 AM, daylight, with a frog in a grass bed. Fished three
grassbeds before the sun came up but never got a hit. Tried some
deeper stuff. Nothing.

Partner wanted to fish a nearby dock he liked and we rode around
looking for it for a while. At 9:30 I got a keeper off the front of it
on a Texas rigged TMac worm.

We tried a couple of other docks but nothing by 10. Decided to go up
the river and throw a buzz bait. We passed the point at the power
plant and nobody was on it. so we stopped. A guide on the lake called
it the biggest community hole on the lake in a magazine article.

No current, so didn't have much hope, but partner got a 2.77 at 19:30
- turned out to be big bass of the day. Shortly after that he got
another keeper - both on Carolina rigged Finesse worm.

We fished there until about 11:15 and current started moving as
Georgia Power pulled water into the plant. I got a keeper at about
11:30, then another one a few minutes later. We decided to stick with
the point the rest of the day until quitting time at 2:00 PM.

Current died at about 12:30 and I was disappointed. We caught a good
many short fish. I started throwing my jig head worm out deeper and
got another keeper at about 1:00. Four, three on jig head worms off
that one point.

My partner got one more keeper with five minutes left to fish.

At weigh in it took a little over 7 pounds to win, six for second.
They fished together and both had limits - the only two. Third was
three at 5.19, my four weighed a paltry 4.88 but was good for fourth.

Tough day!

Ronnie

Water at 90? Not sure where to look when it's that warm. Up North
I'm usually looking for warm water/cold water breaks at 10 to 14 feet.
Sounds like you guys did well for conditions.

Dan
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Sinclair, with its coal fired power plant moving water in and out, and
a pumpback system at Oconee up the river from Sinclair where they
generate power during the day and pump water back at night, keeps the
water constantly moving at Sinclair and there is little change in
temps - no thermocline. Strange lake, really. Water goes up and down
two feet or so every day.

A club 26 Bassmasters fished the same day we did - I need to find out
how they did. Van Kennedy, Steve's dad, is a long time member of that
club. Van has made the Classic twice thru the Federation system and
is a great deep water fisherman. I think he was the one I saw sitting
way off the bank where I have no idea what he was fishing - don't
think there is a hump there, maybe the main river channel. He stayed
there a long time.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

Ronnie,

I pretty much fish a river system and have similar problems, but even then
there is usually a depth or range where there is a definable temperature
change. Not everywhere, but often enough. Even in the main river. You
can't read it on your graph from the micro organisms concentrated on it like
you can on a big stable lake, but if you go for a swim you can sure feel it.
Pockets, eddies, and even deep cuts. Also, in deeper backwaters the flow in
and out tends to be the top several feet of water, but the bottom several
feet moves less. Minn Kota used to make a cheap temp gage that runs on AAA
battery. The probe has several feet of wire. You can tape the probe to
your push pole or a big weight on a piece of line and can get accurate temp
readings at different depths in different areas when you are prefishing to
see if there are any semi stable temp changes.

No guarantees, but IMO the more you know the better your intuition.

A different approach might also be to find features your fish may key on
when the water is rising or falling. Delta and tidal river fisherman really
reli on this. But because the river where I fish fluctuates due to farm
demand downriver it can fish similarly. I learned that from a Ca Delta pro
I took out here one day.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Director