Fishing In Antigua

Old February 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

Default Fishing In Antigua

Fishing report from 2004.

Not long back from Antigua in the West Indies, stayed at the St.James
Club at Mamora Bay .

Managed to fish most nights (after the kids had gone to bed) from the
marina.

Main catch was Red Snapper and some sort of Jack. Did manage to land a
decent Porcupine fish (also known as a puffer fish) and a Moray Eel of
about 12Lb.

Saw lots of tarpon and Snook moving about (no Barracuda ), but having
only squid as bait, it appeared that they would'nt touch it - tried
lots of different spinners and lures etc ... but to no avail.

Only once did I hook into something that snatched half a squid, then
took off as if it had a rocket up it's a**e ! - ripped off 70yds of
line, jumped twice in the bay and on it's third jump, bit through the
line (went onto wire trace after this) - definitely got the old heart
pumping.

I recommend 20Lb line as a minimum, with a wire trace and 1/0 or 2/0
hooks - I only had 12Lb line at the start - was forced to go to the
fishing shop in the capital St Johns to get some new line and bits -
you should see the catch photos in the window !!!

Fabulous place for a holiday, with no problem with fishing from the
pier shore etc ... so much so, am due back there may 2007.

Regards All

Old February 21st, 2007, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Neil

wrote in message oups.com...
Fishing report from 2004.

Not long back from Antigua in the West Indies, stayed at the St.James
Club at Mamora Bay .

snip

Yeah, I don't get too many barracuda on squid here in Norfolk UK

Old February 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

On Feb 21, 12:50 am, "Neil" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...
Fishingreport from 2004.

Not long back fromAntiguain the West Indies, stayed at the St.James
Club at Mamora Bay .

snip

Yeah, I don't get too many barracuda on squid here in Norfolk UK

...... Try tipping it with a small mackeral flapper .....

Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

On Feb 22, 7:14 am, "Ian Hooksem"
wrote:
Was this in 2004 or more recent?

--
Regards, Ian

wrote in message

oups.com...

snip Fishing report from 2004./snip

Hi Ian,

this was in 2004 but will be returning this May - can't wait !!!

Am stocking up with some new lures and getting the rods and reels
ready, already.

I use the Shimano STC TEX330 rods, fabulous 5 piece rods built to fit
in your suitcase, partnered with Shimano baitrunners GTE-B 8000's.

Regards

RayStan.