Sea Fishing Newbie!

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

Default Sea Fishing Newbie!

Hello - I'm used to fresh water fishing and so this sea fishing malarky is
quite a different kettle of fish for me! I've just got a question about why
my reel seems to continually get in a tangle with line spooling off on a
cast out into a bloody big time-wasting bird's nest at least two or three
times a session. Do you think its got anything to do with extra wind from
the sea or the weight of the tackle (maybe underweight), etc, rather than
just me being crap (this never used to happen on fresh water casting this
frequently!). So far, I'm really only spinning from the shore with a
pike-lure sized spinner.

Cheers for any advice!

Old April 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Tetley

" nospam.invalid.nospam wrote in message
Hello - I'm used to fresh water fishing and so this sea fishing malarky is
quite a different kettle of fish for me! I've just got a question about
why my reel seems to continually get in a tangle with line spooling off on
a cast out into a bloody big time-wasting bird's nest at least two or
three times a session. Do you think its got anything to do with extra wind
from the sea or the weight of the tackle (maybe underweight), etc, rather
than just me being crap (this never used to happen on fresh water casting
this frequently!). So far, I'm really only spinning from the shore with a
pike-lure sized spinner.

Cheers for any advice!

I would simply suggest you change a fixed spool until you get the hang of
it. IMHO spinning with a multiplier reel is more for the US anglers and
their more forgiving weather.

Old April 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , lid
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:
Hello - I'm used to fresh water fishing and so this sea fishing malarky is
quite a different kettle of fish for me! I've just got a question about why
my reel seems to continually get in a tangle with line spooling off on a
cast out into a bloody big time-wasting bird's nest at least two or three
times a session. Do you think its got anything to do with extra wind from
the sea or the weight of the tackle (maybe underweight), etc, rather than
just me being crap (this never used to happen on fresh water casting this
frequently!). So far, I'm really only spinning from the shore with a
pike-lure sized spinner.

If you're using a multiplier or centrepin then wind in the face can cause
your tackle to stop dead in the air while the drum continues to turn - cue
nest. If you 'snatch' the cast - too short an action this too can cause
underpower at the tip while spinning the reel up more than usual. Scraps of
seaweed/debris catching briefly in the rings can slow the tackle without
slowing the reel and of course an underbraked reel (or not enough thumb)
allows the reel to turn for too long.

If you have a fixed spool then either it is overfilled (with springy,
heavier line the fill is more critical.) or again you have sticky
weed/debris causing coils to clump together - usually only a problem if the
line is wound on under minimal tension.

Hmmmm...

Maybe you're getting line-twist and it's twizzling up in which case look to
your swivels.

Hth. Cheerio,

--
Fishing:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/

Old April 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

[...]

Thanks, yes it does help; I don't use a centre pin or multiplier reel (and
since I didn't mention it at all, I'm not sure why the other poster seemed
to think I did use one - but thanks for the advice anyway Tetley!).

I reckon as I'm new to it all, I'm probably doing a few of the things you
mentioned all at once - slightly snatching, into a slight headwind, perhaps
with a bit of weed and swivel twisting going on.

I guess its not something you notice that frequently in your casting if
you're a sit and fish type of person (I like to move about a lot and so cast
more often and consequently experience more nests as I'm picking up the
knack of sea casting).

Cheers!

Old April 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

It's worth pointing out that in much sal****er spinning/plugging -
especially over rock/graunch most fish take within ten yards of the rod
tip. Twenty five yards is a loooong cast and many fish that hit at range
are poorly hooked so relax, work close and quiet, don't strain for
distance
and your troubles will evaporate. (Still check the svivels OK?)

Thanks for the tips Derek - I'm desperately in need of spinning tips - I've
been sea fishing from the shore about 5 or 6 times now and still haven't had
any bites...

Funny that you mention it, but I've been avoiding rocks (haven't wanted to
get caught on them and loose my gear) - but are you saying this should be
the place you go to to catch?

Also - should I being doing this at high or low tide - or doesn't it really
matter much?

Where I live, there's been lots of new sea defenses added over the last
three years and there's lots of boulders and new shingle, so I'm getting the
impression that there's perhaps not many fish out in these stands.

Along the coast a bit is new shingle, but no rocks or boulders where lots of
fishermen go, but all seem to be baiting (which I'm not keen on). What do
you think my best options are? Use a more buyuont plug over the rocks in
close to the shore at high tide?

Old April 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , lid
wrote:

Thanks for the tips Derek - I'm desperately in need of spinning tips - I've
been sea fishing from the shore about 5 or 6 times now and still haven't had
any bites...

With this unseasonably warm weather I'm thinking maybe I ought to go try
for the first bass of the season rsn... And the three year pollack should
be inshore any day now too.

Funny that you mention it, but I've been avoiding rocks (haven't wanted to
get caught on them and loose my gear) - but are you saying this should be
the place you go to to catch?

You fish wherever a predator might expect to find a meal - until this years
fry hatch that will be in fast channels, around rocks and among graunch - at
dusk try spinning -just- above the kelp. In daylight work over drop-offs.
At first light scurry your lure between scattered patches of graunch - where
the odd tiddler might have lingered a little too long.

Also - should I being doing this at high or low tide - or doesn't it really
matter much?

Every venue has its own pattern. In general fish will only come -really-
shallow on a rising tide but back off into postition to catch runoff streams
as the tide drops.

Where I live, there's been lots of new sea defenses added over the last
three years and there's lots of boulders and new shingle, so I'm getting the
impression that there's perhaps not many fish out in these stands.

Roughly whereabouts are you - there may be someone here with local knowledge.

Along the coast a bit is new shingle, but no rocks or boulders where lots of
fishermen go, but all seem to be baiting (which I'm not keen on). What do
you think my best options are? Use a more buyuont plug over the rocks in
close to the shore at high tide?

First option along the south and west coasts is a floating plug on a rising
tide at -first- light. In daylight you could do worse than floatfish
between a metre down and the bottom using light floats - chubber for eg. or a
big freshwater slider.

And you can groundbait in the sea too - see:

http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/bait/scroff1.html

Yes - you *can* spin over groundbait.

Cheerio,

Old April 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Martyn

Hiya mate,

Have a look at http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/ you'll find loads of
info there

--

Martyn

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Simon Mc

Hi,

When I began shore fishing with a fixed spool reel as a beginner last year I
just 'guessed' how to cast. Bad idea!. I too had a load of birds nest on my
reel. It wasn't until my local tackle shop showed me how to do it that I
realized I was doing it all wrong.

Here's how to do it:

When casting with a fixed spool reel, you need to hold the line tight under
your index finger, then OPEN the bail arm. This is the bit of metal that
guides the line onto the spool. You then cast, releasing the line during the
chuck. The line will fly off the spool. During the cast, you can control how
much line is released by using your index finger again. Once the cast is
complete, you can close the bail arm and fish.

Here's how NOT to do it :-)

Adjust the clutch on the reel so that you can pull line off with no problem.
Cast. Tidy up the mess.

Regards,

Simon Mc

Anyway, you may be doing it this way already. But if you're not, it may be
useful to know :-)
news