New world record bass?

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default New world record bass?

Claims are flying that a 22 pound, 5 ounce bass was landed Thursday in
Japan. I put up some links to pictures of it and a video:

http://fishing.about.com/od/bassfish...bass-Japan.htm

Ronnie

fishing.about.com
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers[_2_]

Big bass no doubt! What do you think about Ronnie... and what about the
supposed 25lb'er that was caught in Lake Dixon, but never certified? The
link at F&S redirected me away from the page before I could read it.

Old July 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

As I understand it, this wouldn't be the world record because the IGFA
requires a record to beat the old one by two ounces, so it officially would
be considered a tie.

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

The one from Dixon can't be certified by the IGFA since it was
snagged. Since it was never officially weighed, we can keep
discussing it, but it won't be certified as the record.

Ronnie

http:// fishing.about.com

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

As I understand it, this wouldn't be the world record because the IGFA
requires a record to beat the old one by two ounces, so it officially would
be considered a tie

That is the way I understand it, too, and what I said in the short
article I did on it.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old July 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Based on all the reports I read he was fishing for it on the bed and
hooked it in the side.

Did you know the bass was found dead this year - called "Dottie"
because of the spot on her side.

Ronnie

http:// fishing.about.com

Old July 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers[_2_]

Yeah... I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I did read about it
died... still weighing in at 19lbs!

Old July 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message

As I understand it, this wouldn't be the world record because the IGFA
requires a record to beat the old one by two ounces, so it officially
would
be considered a tie

That is the way I understand it, too, and what I said in the short
article I did on it.

I wonder what standards and rules would apply under the old Field & Stream
rules where Perry's fish was registered. As near as I can tell IGFA did not
exist back then.

Not going to get into old arguments about Dottie, but a fish hooked outside
of the mouth might not be disqualified from record holding status according
to IGFA. Still I have a lot of respect for them deciding to release the
fish, and because they were sight fishing it probably was not a qualifying
catch. Just remember that "foul hooked" is not an instant illegitimate
catch or you could find yourself throwing away tournament winning fish that
you could have weighed legally. Know your local regulations, and read your
tournament rules. I personally know three people who have made that
mistake, and its happened in pro level tournaments as well.

Hard jerkbait and topwater fish are routinely hooked outside the mouth.
Neither method is usually fished to deliberately "snag" a fish.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

Here in New York, foul-hooked fish are legal except for trout and salmon
plus walleye in Oneida Lake.