Blowing Fuses

Old September 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Default Blowing Fuses

I have a 1998 GMC Sierra pickup 4x4 350 Vortec, and I keep blowing a
fuse when I tow my boat, it's the number 15 that controls the das and it
also runs the trailer lights. Anyone ever had this problem before? if so
how can I troubleshoot it.

Old September 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Lu Powell[_2_]

Sounds like a bare hot wire on the trailer's wiring harness that's
occasionally shorting against the frame, or against a ground wire. Hard to
troubleshoot. A new trailer wiring harness is pretty cheap and fairly easy
to replace.

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

I checked for bare or pinched wires and found nothing, replaced the wire
connections on trailer. It worked fine and then blew after I drove about
two miles. Could something be getting hot and causing it to blow? I
thought one day I smelled burning wire.

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Licker

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
I have a 1998 GMC Sierra pickup 4x4 350 Vortec, and I keep blowing a
fuse when I tow my boat, it's the number 15 that controls the das and it
also runs the trailer lights. Anyone ever had this problem before? if so
how can I troubleshoot it.

I had similiar problems with my 2000 Chevy 2500. I rewired teh entire
trailer and plugs and still had issues. I had a inline box under the bed
that the wireing harness plugged into. I replaced this box and solved my
issues.

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

what color was the box?

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Licker

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
what color was the box?

black

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

did the box have a fuse in it ? where would I find one.

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
did the box have a fuse in it ? where would I find one.

He is probably talking about a plug in relay adaptor box. Just follow your
trailer pigtail wire back to up under the truck. I do not think bigger GM
or Chevy trucks need or have one. Some of the smaller trucks have a plug in
adaptor, but they did not need a relay box.

Old September 11th, 2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Thanks for all the help guys, I solved the problem today. I had a broken
wire that was shorting on my frame. It was for my marker lights.

Old September 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Lu Powell[_2_]

Glad you found it.