Will36 Cleaned my Clock Last Night

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

Default Will36 Cleaned my Clock Last Night

We hit the river yesterday afternoon and fished an area I have really not
fished this year, and haven't fished thoroughly in 2 or 3 years. I missed a
couple bites on my natural shad color Ribbed Flipping Grub, and then
switched to a laminated watermelon back white pearl belly RFG and caught two
keepers in not too much time. Will farmed one at the boat on a blade with
the wind blowing on the bank I was flipping. We didn't take an ideal
approach and fished the bank a lot faster than I would have liked due to the
wind pushing the boat. It was a still a decent first hour. I of course
bragged up my fishing success ruthlessly while Will was figuring out what he
wanted to throw.

We moved off the main river and into one of the back channels for no fish in
the channel. Then we moved into the mouth of a little back lake to see if we
could find some of those chasing wolf packs in the lakes some people had
talked about recently. It was still a little early in my opinion for
topwater, but I pitched a popper ahead of the boat for an almost immediate
blow up and miss in the mouth of the lake. It looked like a 2 pound fish.
Then I grabbed a Club-O and waked it down the lake mouth channel and had one
roll on it. I pitched right back the spot and it picked it up. I swung and
missed. Poor Will was stuffed in the bushes in the back of the boat as we
worked our way in. Never heard a complaint though.

We cleared the entrance to the lake and Will flipped to the inside point to
nail his first keeper of the afternoon. Looked like a solid two pounder. I
flipped some, and skipped an area I like to fish topwater in order to hit it
later when the shadows were longer.

I missed three hits on a crankbait with what I judge to be undersized hooks.
Meanwhile Will started throwing a popper.

It wasn't long until we started seeing busting bait fish here and there.
Will put three in the boat before I had a chance to get sorted out, but I
then quickly missed three strikes and finally boated a short fish. He threw
to a point with a popper and nailed the big fish of the evening looked to be
close to 4. My eyeball kept telling me 3.7 or 3.8. While he was messing with
that fish I threw just past where he had hooked that one into a pocket
formed by a secondary point and the main point. I hooked and lost one. I
threw back to that spot after netting Will's fish, and hooked and lost a
bigger one.

Will stuck another one in the cove formed by the point, but by then we were
seeing scattered busting all over the middle of the lake. I bumped the
trolling motor in that direction and let the breeze drift us towards them.
Will was on them. I was throwing a small popper with tiny hooks (I need to
change them I know) and I missed several strikes. I switched to a larger
popper, and caught a couple, but the fish seemed to not get a good hold of
the bigger bait. Switched again to the same bait Will was throwing and I
didn't miss any after that, but the bite had slowed down. Will missed a few,
but he put most of them in the boat including another decent fish. We
weighed this one. My calibrated eyeball scale said about 3.5, and he weighed
it at 3 lbs 8 ozs. My eyeball I guess is only off for my fish. LOL.

We had drifted through the area by where we had seen all the action and we
decided to bump back through it with the trolling motor and setup for
another drift after hitting a point or two on the side of the lake were we
had started. Will caught a first as I was easing the boat through the area,
and I managed a couple solid keepers in the 1.7 to 2.4 range. He nailed two
small keepers on a popper. At first he thought it was a catfish because of
the odd way it was fighting. I saw "it" break water and knew it was a bass,
but it didn't look big enough for the hurt it was putting on his rod. When
he got it along side the boat and saw it was two fish we both got excited,
and I grabbed the net. Wouldn't want to cost him a first trying to swing two
fish at once.

Except for that double we only netted three fish. The 1.5 to 2.5 pound fish
and the few shorts we just swung since we were fun fishing.

We were almost ready to drift back through again when I saw some swirls that
seemed like a bigger fish near a point. I eased the boat closer to the bank
and dropped my popper right along that point as I saw the wave from a swirl
coming out past it. Then I saw one of those heart stoppers that always makes
your heart jump up into your throat. I saw a big V wake come down the bank
towards my bait, and then disappear. I froze and waited. it seemed like half
a minute I stood there not moving, but it was probably only 4-5 seconds. I
was just getting ready to shake the rod to put a quiver on the bait when it
just exploded. I threw the line towards the fish, cranked down and set the
hook. It took some drag and made me fight it a bit. It was the kind of hit
and fight that makes topwater fishing the massive adrenalin rush that it is.
I didn't weigh it since Will's two "good" fish were bigger, but it was a
solid three pounder.

Our only other fish in the coves was a nice solid bluegill that hit Will's
popper like a ton of bricks. I was very surprised when it turned out to be a
gill.

We poked around in that cove and the next one a bit, and then setup to drift
across the middle of the lake again. Again Will put his hits in the boat. I
caught one more, but it was a solid two plus.

The bite definitely petered out from there so we decided to frog and flip
some tulie patches as it started to get dark. Will missed an absolutely
explosive strike on his frog, but I didn't get another bite. We talked about
why he might have missed it and shortly after he missed another one. I think
the fish actually missed the frog on that one. I saw the strike, and it
looked like it was behind his frog. I think he swung way to fast on the
first one. The frog whizzed past my head while the sound of the splash was
still ringing in my ears. I think he was a little fast one the second one
too. I told him what I do on frog strikes, and a little later he got one
more strike on the frog. Dean Rojas eat your heart out. Will did it just
right. Instead of swinging at the splash he cranked down gave it a moment
and slammed him. He was stuck good deep in his mouth. I don't know if my
advice helped but he put it in the boat. Definitely over two. Maybe 2.5.

Finally as we were headed out of the lake and the light level was
approaching true dark we got back to the stretch I like for topwater that we
skipped on the way in. No more strikes in the lake. We eased out through the
mouth in the dark, and as we cleared into the channel Will pitched back
towards the lake mouth with his frog. Moby Bass flushed the toilet.
Unfortunately he was a good foot away from where the frog actually was. We
hung there while Will saw if he could get to come up again, but no joy.

Finally we headed back out the channel and I picked up a buzzbait. I threw
the buzzbait and Will threw the frog, but except for one half hearted roll
by a small fish on the buzzbait that was it. It was full dark and we headed
in.

Final count for the day.

Bob:
2 flipping
8 on a popper
3lb Biggest

Will:
...1 flipping
...12 on a popper
...1 on a frog
... 3.8 biggest and a 3.5 behind it

...2 Firsts for Will
.....double keepers on one bait
.....bluegill on a popper

I had 2 shorts. Will said he had 3 or 4 that were short. I have caught more
fish and bigger fish, but this was one of the most fun trips I have had on
the water in a long time. In spite of my ruthless bragging when I was ahead
early Will was very gracious about handing me my hat as the afternoon and
evening wore on. LOL.

Will36 is a nonboater member of my fishing club, Yuma Pro Am and an active
member of my forums. The pictures are posted with the story in the members
only section of my forums.

ROFB Group FAQ
www.rofb.net

My Club Website