Sunday Yuma Pro Am On The River

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_2_]

Default Sunday Yuma Pro Am On The River

Well, I fished Sunday. It was an interesting day fishing the Yuma Pro Am.

I figured I had 6-7 gallons of fuel in the left tank, and never worried
about it. More than enough to run to my first planned spot and back. As I
was idling over to the dock to pick up my backseater I noticed the fuel gage
said 3 gallons and was dropping... to zero I opened the bilge just to make
sure it wasn't spilling gas (not likely) and it wasn't. Anyway, I decided
to fish another spot closer to Fisher's first.

My backseater picked up one on a crankbait covering that area, but it was
the only for sure strike. He cranked and I flipped a narrow channel until
Fisher's opened after 8:00. Then we spent about half an hour waiting for
somebody to get around to coming down to the gas dock and letting us fuel
up.

The gas gage still said zero. Well, I knew there was enough fuel so off we
went to the spot I planned to fish first.

It turned out ok. We caught 4 keepers and 1 short cranking the area, and I
lost a keeper that would have easily bumped us up to 2nd. Maybe have given
us a shot at 1st. I got excited and over horsed it with a lot of line out.
It jumped and threw my bait. Darn. My mistake. Our bite was pretty good
when the wind was blowing, but I picked up one on a crankbait later to
finish our limit.

That was it. We tried another area for the last hour where I have cranked
fish late in the day for nothing. We cranked, flipped, and wormed a section
where I have had good luck in the past, but the fish either weren't there or
they didn't like any of our offerings.

On the way back to the marina I glanced at my control panel and saw the gas
gage switch was flipped to the right tank. Oops. (Actual tank selection is
manual and I pretty much only use the left tank) It could have been better
or it could have been worse, but we where at the right place at the right
time once during the day anyway.

Finished 4th and had 1st place big fish with 9+ and 3.47. 1st had a little
over 11. All the shallow water seemed a little murky, but even so. I
didn't see very many beds. All were empty.