Saturday In A Little Walk In Only Fishing Hole (We Didn't go to Coogler's Hole)

Old August 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_6_]

Default Saturday In A Little Walk In Only Fishing Hole (We Didn't go to Coogler's Hole)

We have a little fishing hole that has really produced well for us. A few
of us call it Coogler's Hole because he is the one who found it, and found
the path in. I went fishing with Coogler yesterday, but we went someplace
else instead... LOL.

Instead we tried another walk in adventure. We crossed one body of water
with the canoe and all our gear, and the canoe roller. On the way across we
fished it a bit. I caught 2 and missed one on salted melon red CO-4s, while
Coogler had one throw his bait. 4 Bites in short order in our intermediate
water. If they had kept biting like that we might never have pressed on,
but sadly that was it.

We found a fair place to pull out on the opposite side, balanced the canoe
on the roller, and load all the gear back in it. If I had been by myself I
might have stopped right there. After about ten steps I realized that it
was going to be a real chore to drag the canoe through all that soft torn up
dirt to get where we wanted to go. Coogler just grabbed the front of the
canoe and started off at a trot. I could barely keep up much less help.

It was a bit further than I expected, but with a little scouting we found a
place to launch. I took a dip in the water, and that cooled me off pretty
well. In fact I never really felt hot the rest of the afternoon.

The salted melon red CO-4 definitely caught more fish than anything else,
but I did catch one and lost a nice largemouth that jumped like a smallie on
a salted melon pearl laminate. We caught about a 10-12 fish between us from
1-2.5 pounds on CO-4s.

It was a little early for it still I felt, but I started winging a black
curly buzz frog and stuck one close to four. A little later Coogler missed
one on a floating frog, threw back to the same spot and broke off. I hit
the same spot a little later with a black CBF and had a solid 3+ come 3-4
feet out of the water on the strike. He had it, and I quickly boated it.
That was my last bite, but by then Coogler was chunking a Curly Buzz Frog
himself. He stuck a solid 3+ in a little back cut, and then we went a long
time without a solid strike.

Finally Coogler got another roll and hook up on a CBF when he chunked it
around a tree up into shallow water. It looked like a five, but the cheap
spring scale I use for canoe trips said it was only a little over four. We
made one more trip around, and had a coupe short strikers, but no takers.
We decided to call it a night.

Total Fish Count:

12-14 - Club-O CO-4 Salted Melon Red & Salted Melon Pearl Laminate
4 - Curly Buzz Frog Black, Dark Brown, and Dark melon and pearl
experimental core shot.
(all dark colors even when the sun was still up)

Or 4 biggest all came on the CBF, but we only caught four on them.

Coogler found a path that was a little easier to roll the canoe, and said he
would see if it went out to a cross road if I would go get the truck. I
grabbed a life jacket and the truck key out of the canoe and headed off to
to the first water we crossed. It was no big deal. My biggest problem was
the water kept trying to drag my pants off. LOL. A life jacket makes a
crossing like that pretty easy, but not very fast. I looked up because I
figured I was about to run into the bank and discovered I was only halfway
across. I was a little winded, but was able to climb up when I reached the
other side. I came out right next to the truck where I had set a couple
chemical flares when we started out.

There was a small group catfishing just down from the truck so I wandered
over to chat with them a bit while I let the water run off me. They had
caught one channel cat and one turtle, and seemed to be having a good
evening with a couple little ones along. Very friendly folks.

I threw some plastic bags on the seat of the truck and jockeyed it around.
When I got out of that area, I started looking for the likely path coming
out of the brush to the cross road, and there was Coogler waiting for me
with the canoe.

I posted a couple pictures on the forum he
http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/in...topic,6714.msg