Night Fish Again (Report). Very Long, for those of you who could not get out

Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Night Fish Again (Report). Very Long, for those of you who could not get out

Ok this time Dave showed up. The plan...fish from 10:30 p.m to 3:00 a.m. We
decided since my nephew was going out that we would take two boats and I
would fish solo. Fine with me I prefer it that way.(funny... I hate people
but love gatherings)

Anywho, the minute we launch the boats we get hit with a downpour that
left all of us just a tad bit wet. Ok it was real wet. I did manage to just
about get my rain jacket over my head and tackle. It only rained for about
15 minutes but it came down! The rain had me thinking twice about fishing
the buzzbait so I rigged up a Strike King Wild Thang in Junebug with an
unpegged 1/32oz bullet weight and a red 4/0 gammy hook. It proved to be a
good combo as the first bass of the night, a little guy @ less than a pound
tore into it. The rain had stopped and the lake smoothed right out and was
flat as could be. I was chucking that buzzbait all over with no response and
decided to head to a point where there was some good activity yesterday and
where I caught the biggest bass the day before on a buzzbait. I threw the
buzz about 4-5 times across the point, again it was met with no response. So
I picked up my spinning rod with the wild thang. 1st cast and I am working
it past some submerged timber, as I lift the rod up it bends down fast. I
set the hook and the fish just rocketed out of the water, good fish, I go
for the net(cause I brought one this time) and can't get it off one of the
seat screws it was hanging up on, meanwhile the fish is pulling drag down
under the boat, I crank him up and shine the light, see thet the fish is
hooked good and bring em in to the boat. A nice 3-3 1/2 pound LM. A picture,
and the fish is on it's way.

I worked that whole area with the buzzbait and wild thang and didn't get
another bite, right before I head out to the main lake, I cast my buzzbait
but never head it hit the water. My rod jerked and I thought I might have
been hung up in a tree and had the motor on, nope I hit a bat and hooked it
with the tailer hook. As it came down towards the boat it hit the water real
hard. I shined the light and decided I want nothing to do with it, I cut the
line and that was the last I saw of the bat or my buzzbait. Re tie another
buzzbait. Troll Daves hair jig back out to the sticks and I catch a crappie
about ten inchs. They love his hair even at night!! I meet up with Dave and
my nephew and they are still without a fish. So I decide to fish the sticks
for a bit then decide that the fish are not out there in open water so I
head for the shoreline with Dave and Steven behind me. I cast across the
point on a small island on the lake and a good size explosion and big tug
tell me something has just crushed my buzzbait. That something was another
2lb+ LM. Another picture and release the fish. We both fished and area known
to us as the flats and repeatedly Dave and Steven had their buzzbaits hung
up in the brush. I was fortunate. I stuck with trees only. They head over to
some standing timber and docks and I head to the back of the lake to the
nasty stuff. That area is nothing but sticks as thick as it comes and it all
sits in about 5 feet of water if that. A place where Harry has caught some
fish with me including a nice 3 pounder his first trip up here, also a place
where twice I missed a good fish the day before due to not having a trailer
hook on. I fan cast the buzz about a dozen times with again..no response. I
kept throwing about 10 more casts where I had heard a splash. Ready to leave
and the water erupts again. 65 pound braid stood up to the sticks and I get
my 4 th fish of the night, another fish in the 3-31/2 pound range. You know
the story...another picture and the fish is back to swimming. We had been
out for about three hours at this point and my partners were a little down.
We head over to the back cove, On my way over I get anothr little guy on the
wild thang. less than a pound, no picture. We get into the back cove, I
figure this is gonna be real productive and out best shot at a real big
fish. Unfortunately my first cast resulted in a backlash so nasty that the
boys at Shimano were laughing. The reel was jacked for the rest of the
night. I tied the buzz onto a pole and head to the left to the bigger part
and Dave went to the right to the flooded stick area. I fished a while with
no luck and head back to the main lake. As I was heading out I saw Dave's
flashlight up in the trees shining around. I kinda chuckled and head back
out the canal. I fished a while and got my 6th fish of the night, A decent
fish in the 2+ range. I see the other guys heading over to the ramp. it's
about 3 a.m and we all agree to call it a night. Dave wound up catching two
fish but that's his story. My nephew wound up catching cold and thats his
only story. 'm really liking this night fishing thing. That topwater bite
just gets the blood pumping and when it's dark not knowing what you have on
adds to the excitement. I hope everyone is having half the fun I am fishing
this year. I apologize to those of you that hate long posts, but scroll down
see how long it is and move on :-)

Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Charles Summers

Nice fish!

You ever think that it isn't my boat that brings you luck... but rather it's
your skills that put them fish in the boat? Remember that at the NWC and
bring home the top honors this time! My vote is for you this year....

Did Craig say something about being there this year?

Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:08 PM
alwaysfishking

snip You ever think that it isn't my boat that brings you luck... but
rather it's
your skills that put them fish in the boat?

No, it's the luck of the Nitro, oh and fishing everyday. I'm on the
repeated cast theory. Cast a million times and your bound to have something
bite it. :-)

Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
go-bassn

lol Craig says something every year, he just never shows up.

He's afraid to get spanked, thats the general concensus...

Still waiting Craiger

Warren ;-)

Old July 24th, 2004, 03:41 AM
alwaysfishking

who has to fish in their underwear again? Oh that's right you do, and you
still owe me 15 cents from the other days fish bet. Your game is weak, see
ya at 3
"dvito" wrote in message
Blah Blah Blah, Your a homo.

Dave V

Old July 24th, 2004, 03:41 AM
alwaysfishking

who has to fish in their underwear again? Oh that's right you do, and you
still owe me 15 cents from the other days fish bet. Your game is weak, see
ya at 3
"dvito" wrote in message
Blah Blah Blah, Your a homo.

Dave V