shrimp patterns for permit

Old July 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
jackk

Default shrimp patterns for permit

Just returned from Belize, and all of the guides told that I was pretty much
wasting my time with crab patterns for permit, and that I should get some
small shrimp patterns; especially spawning shrimp. One of the guides had
some taht were tied in Montana by a client that worked well.

Does anyone have some patterns of shrimp that they would share?

Thanks, Jackk

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:01 AM
sandy

http://www.montana-riverboats.com/Pa...ctor_Fly2.html

....with this one you tie the tippet to the eye of the hook and then
throw a surgeon's loop over the front end of the soft foam body, so it
doesn't collapse backwards over hook (the way a San Juan Worm usually does).

I've hooked some pretty good bonefish on this fly, and one permit:
the only one I ever caught.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM
rw

jackk wrote:
Just returned from Belize, and all of the guides told that I was pretty much
wasting my time with crab patterns for permit, and that I should get some
small shrimp patterns; especially spawning shrimp. One of the guides had
some taht were tied in Montana by a client that worked well.

Does anyone have some patterns of shrimp that they would share?

You might try the Shrimpf:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...82701fotw.html

I've never used it, but it sure looks shrimpy.

BTW, where did you fish in Belize and which guides did you use? I was
there in April. We had numerous shots at permit, but no hookups. I did,
however, catch a pretty good tarpon:

http://home.earthlink.net/~royalwulff/web/tarpon.JPG